Any Sterling Pro traders here?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Trader717, Jul 7, 2008.

1. oooh that thing yea gotcha now. madscan is a custom scanner that WTS was supposed to give me a while back but never happened. it works within the sterling api apparently.

#21     Oct 9, 2008
  2. Thanks Ed.

I figure my problem is that I am running 4 monitors (one 30 inch) and run about 38 charts at one time. I also run 5 time and sales and 5 level two screens. It used to be more charts but i trimmed it down and it still has not helped.

My pc has 2 gigs of RAM. Do you have more RAM or do you run less applications? The thing is that i used to run more charts on my old PC that only had 1 gig of RAM but was on Windows XP.

Thanks again.

#22     Oct 9, 2008
  3. I only had 2 gig of ram as well w/ Vista and wasn't running as many windows. I'm now using XP64 and have 6 gig ram.

#23     Oct 9, 2008
  4. I just don't think that 2 gigs RAM are enough to power Vista and my layout as I've had it.

I have trimmed down to six charts and two time/sales and two level 2 screens. Tomorrow I will give this new layout a go to see if it helps.

Thanks.

#24     Oct 9, 2008
  5. Does anyone here trade futures through Sterling and how do you like it. I been trading the nyse/nas for a few years and considering dabbling into futures. What do you pay per contract? If someone could drop me a message I would appreciate it

#25     Oct 9, 2008
  6. This may be a stupid question but can you increase the ram on any computer? Mine is a year old and has 3 GB...and how would I know if it is using all of it?

#26     Oct 9, 2008
  7. 3gb is pretty good, but you can see if you can add more by going to www.crucial.com

choose your computer or motherboard model and it will give you options. I've bought RAM from there and shipping was fast and the memory was good.

#27     Oct 10, 2008
  8. Occasionally I will hedge my trade against an ETF if I believe the spread is at a discount. What I want to know is how do I liquidate the pair (stock/etf) at a specified limit without having to execute each instrument off some alarm/alert?

With TWS, you just place a combo order. I called Sterling and they informed me that I would have to develop my own API. I know I'm not the first person to need this. Anyone know where I could find/pay for a simple API? Thanks in Advance.

#28     Oct 22, 2008
  9. If you are not doing more than a dozen symbols and not scalping like 10 trades per minute, may I suggest going with an Excel DDE and/or ActiveX interface to the Sterling API ? Much faster to develop than C/C++/C#.

#29     Oct 22, 2008

10. Thanks for the reply Sys. So, my choices are: spend a week learning Sterling's API and monkey around with the DDE qualifiers, or rent a coder and start taking bids because of the thousands of prop traders using Sterling, no spreader wants to give up his "edge" on order mgmt.

Let's start a poll: If I create a nice ActiveX API (hard side first), and other bells, how many Sterling users would pay $600 for the app? Of course, the only condition is you need to know how to offset trade, risk arb, etc. Probably very few on ET.

#30     Oct 22, 2008