Any shorts left?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bluematrix, May 6, 2013.

1. If you want to short, short something weaker, like a metal, or an equity struggling. No need to be a hero, because in the process you look rather stupid and so does your bank account.

Another option is to trade other timeframes like the 60min chart, that way you don't have to give a shit if the market "looks" high or low.

#41     May 7, 2013
  2. Eight

Eight

shorts are losing their shirts!

#42     May 7, 2013
  3. i don't think it's about shorting something else or shorts are losing their shirts.. generally having shorts in the market is good as it provides liquidity for longs etc. but when the market becomes incredibly one sided it gets you thinking.

most if not all shorts have been burnt one way or another in this market. but how many are left if any? just think if everyone left are long - who they going to sell it to once the selling really begins? one would think smart money will exit before bigger fools enter it..

#43     May 7, 2013
  4. I dont really trade these markets anymore, but typically, US Indices are mean reversive, so new highs is not something to be happy about, on the contrary, you know something nasty is coming, just a matter of when.

Happy times should had been back in 2009 when things were oversold and good quality companies were paying killer dividends.

#44     May 7, 2013
  5. just like previous turnarounds some type of catalyst is needed for it to really begin.. maybe a small country exits EU or a major bankruptcy or similar.. i don't think weekly reported macro numbers or earnings matter.. it has to have the surprise/shock element. even possibly war somewhere.. it's actually very scarey how risk-free like equity markets have become.

#45     May 7, 2013
  6. you are not wrong but i don't think there are many shorts. i don't think there are many sellers in this market at all that's why it keeps melting up. that's why you should not think there is a stop gap in this market that makes you safe. whatever day this market decides its a sell its going to gap down big. you will have shorts pushing it down along with people taking profit. do you really think big money players will buy a 6% gap down at this level? this is a great long until its an amazing short. hey i wish i was smart enough to buy at the lows and hold. i have much respect for anyone who just bought last year and got a 250 run in the s&p in like a 6 month time frame. this is no different than the internet bubble sure pe's were crazy than but if the fed did not give away money right now stocks would be very overvalued here. there is no sales growth its all about lower cost this rally. you think amazon or ebay will be more profitable if the sales tax bill passes? that is like 6% of the money you spend now going to the government. that's a real tax to because rich people don't look to save a few bucks shopping on ebay. you think if they cut medicare or SS that will help companies sell more? this is all the real money people spend not the money rich people save.

#46     May 7, 2013
  7. Actually - judging by all the shortists in here - the most cringeworthy trade possible is to go long The Bernanke, The Draghi, and all the other CB's (Japan and now Australia) who finally agree that austerity is not working.......

:eek:

#47     May 7, 2013
  8. i saw your post before your in and i can't say its a bad trade because i have not seen a weak week in months. i am making a gutt call this week and honestly i know it can take awhile for me to be proven right. i can't get past the idea that economic news or sales growth news won't be better next quarter but the market will just go up because of free money. i think you are probably safe long unless you see a gap down. i say that because there are no sellers right now so the market is just melting up but a gap down will start a snowball sell off.

#48     May 7, 2013
  9. #49     May 8, 2013
  10. today is the first time in awhile i did not see buying on the weakness later in the trading day. i still think you need a gap down for a correction move to start until than long is strong. its going to be hard for guys to short at the close because of being burned so many times and i don't see the market nice enough to let you short at a nice price tomorrow if its really going down big.

#50     May 9, 2013