Any seed money for Crude Oil trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by miniFORTUNE, Jun 17, 2012.

1. agreed

#11     Jun 17, 2012
  2. drm7

drm7

Why don't you rent a server, either through your broker or even Amazon EC3? You can load whatever you want on it and use your laptop to turn the strategy on and off. Lease rates have become reasonable. Your broker can even co-locate for a higher price.

Velocity Futures gives a pretty good overview about how it all works, but any decent futures broker can do the same thing.

#12     Jun 17, 2012
  3. how much money are you making currently in your job?

i like to deal with people who are successful in other areas of life, since then I know they want it bad enough.

are you saving all your money for trading (discretionary)?

lots of equity in your home?

trying to get money is a business. if not, it comes off like panhandling. which is fine, but we need to know what it is...

you need skin in the game, trust me it helps.

show me how i can get better latency and compete with GS, without renting a server on the floor.

#13     Jun 17, 2012
  4. Then you should do just that, for a few months, at least.

IMO.

#14     Jun 17, 2012
  5. Hi Shanb:

Thank you very much for your input.
    I will be studying your arguments.
    As far as peak and draw downs the closest i can show you , if i understand it correctly is the graph on results. I would like to attach you 8 of them but posting seems to allow only one attachement per post.
    Here goes one of them.
    Thank you!
    miniFORTUNE

#15     Jun 17, 2012
  6. Hi: Drm7!

Excellent idea of renting servers or working with brokers. So far I am dealing with AMP but I did not inquired yet. Good point.
    My appreciartion!
    miniFORTUNE

#16     Jun 17, 2012
  7. Blue Turtle:

Thank you for taking your time.

Your questions are very tough and my answers weak.
    Let's call it in your terms "panhandling". If I had enough risk capital I will not be bothering the community to get ideas.
    As far as financial I had my peaks (some very high) but I am now on one of my "valleys". Lost 70% on Real Estate. Still I have some properties left. One is a house on the Hollywood Hills (rented now). Waiting for 3 to 5 years to clear at least a million after mortgage, taxes and commission.
    In the meantime I am trying to generate additional income via trading.
    Looks like i may have to settle on trading the miniDOW for a while until I get my hands on Crude Oil.
    Thank you for your awakening.

miniFORTUNE

#17     Jun 17, 2012
  8. Hi Random, Capital!

Thank you for your observation. Ditto.

While I am writing this I am waiting for the results on a Greek election.
    In five hours I am going to fire up my laptops. They will get the move. Could be a good, good one that will take care of fake NT simulation data, slippage, bids and ask and everything.
    My laptops will be placing the simulation trades. Me I will not have the courage to trade live. My excuse is that I always "...wait, to see what happens".

Best!

miniFORTUNE

#18     Jun 17, 2012
  9. Shanb

Shanb

If I had to make a guess I'd say he is running a volatility breakout type system.

So he is chasing price and that makes it tough to enter with limits as the market is moving in the direction of your trade. If you are exiting into strength/weakness then you could use limits? I you are letting the market take you out of the trade then it's tougher to use limits on exit.

#19     Jun 17, 2012
  10. Hi ZRITRADER:

Are you entering on a cross of some sort, From your win rate it looks like a trend following system ?

Reason I ask is because you need to find a way to enter with limits and exit with limits as much as possible, the comish and slippage are the big factor here. Backtest results usually give false hope to folks who haven't been around the block for a few years.

In my experience trend following systems I have built with code have only done OK on longer timeframes because of the reduced slippage/comish factor.

Good luck anyway.

Good points!
    Yes is a trend following but not on time frames but price movement. I do not use the traditional charting.

As far as limits on exits (SL or PT) did not show good results on Crude. The losses (very common) are minuscule but when CL moves, profits are unlimited and take care of losses and may be slippage, etc.

You are right as far as longer terms. I know from reading that Oil Companies and Transportation establishments make billions of dollars trading Crude on WEEKLY and MONTHLY CHARTS. They have millions on risk capital, programmers, robots etc.

Personally, if I had the funds, will not even trade the Crude. I will just buy a strangle on crude every month. It cost between $ 6000.00 to $ 7000.00 for the put and call on Crude. Month after month, for years Crude moves more than $ 6. Case in point, the Jul and Aug options profited more than $ 24.000.00 so far. Anyhow, hindsight and wishful thinking.

Back to reality. Waiting for the results on the Greek election. It is so much at stake.

Best!

miniFORTUNE

#20     Jun 17, 2012