any roofers who can help with repair question?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drcha, Jul 7, 2010.

1. drcha

drcha

Trying to determine what to do about moss on my roof. There is a lot, not a little. The roof is composition, pretty thick, rated as 40-yr. Pitch is fairly steep. When I replaced my roof about five years ago, I got several bids. All the roofers who bid told me that I should never use chemicals to remove moss from the roof. However, everyone around here does it. Any opinions?

thanks

2. Not a roofer, but I used to use a dilute chlorine spray. Left it on about 15 minutes, then sprayed it off. Killed moss and algae and was cheap. But this was on a cement tile roof in FL. Should work on asphalt, but be careful. Dilute at least 75% and don't leave on too long.

But definitely get an opinion from a pro cleaner! There should be better/safer products now. It's been about 30 years since I used to do mine. Good luck.

3. 1) I am not sure what a "composition" roof is.
    2) With a shingle roof, install zinc-metal strips under the ridge shingles and hip shingles so that when it rains, the rain slightly dissolves the zinc, the "zinc solution" flows downhill to kill off the moss that is below it.
    3) Does your roof receive a lot of direct sunlight? Can you trim away branches to allow for more sunlight exposure and wind circulation to keep the roof deck drier? :cool: