Any Recovering Traders?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Trader5287, Oct 11, 2002.

1. I bet if someone started a thread with that name in the "Trading" forum, it'd be kinda hot. "My name is .. and I'm a loser". Heh. I'm not the one to start it, dont wanna hurt people's feelings:) An idea, anyway..

#11     Oct 16, 2002
  2. It is amazing to me how certain drugs just affect people differently.

White stuff never did it for me. Snorting meth and coke just gave me a sore throat, and crack is just plain stupid. The buzz is like puffing a cigarette - except after about 60 seconds it disappears and is replaced by an intense craving for more. It's like the drug is just wanting more of the drug. The real crackheads I knew (past tense, thankfully), did not even get a buzz. A new rock just eased the cravings. Oh - and living with a crackhead is not exactly fun. You keep waking up to less and less stuff in your house - it gets pawned in the night to buy a rock.

I much prefer to spend time with some good buds :D

#12     Oct 16, 2002
  3. Let me just put it this way - everything that I ever had to let go of "HAS CLAW MARKS IN IT" :D For those who know, there is no explaination needed and for those who don't, it's nearly impossible to explain. Been a little over 20 years now.

I have to stand a constant guard over my trading and my addictive personality, but what's life all about if I don't have to remain vigilant about something.:)

plumlazy

#13     Oct 16, 2002
    #14     Oct 16, 2002
  5. Actually that part was pretty funny. Who knows if I have the math right here but it went something like this: if I'm out with 9 of you and there's 10 beers you all share 1 and I drink 9.

Sound familiar?

Geo.

#15     Oct 16, 2002
  6. proptr8r

proptr8r

I used to think I traded better when I was hungover. I thought I was trading more off of subconscious instinct and less off of a rational thought process. Not to say I would get wasted every night, but it seemed like once or twice a month I would go in hungover and do well. After several more times going in hungover, I realized that the initial gains were merely a fluke.

I rarely get drunk on a weekday night now because it definitely negatively affects my trading.

#16     Oct 16, 2002
  7. John Daly, a professional golfer, used to get hammered before every match. He played his best drunk and also played his worse drunk. It was difficult for him to go cold turkey because he thought the alcohol helped him play his best.

In my own experience, I don't think drugs helped me play any better. I would feel like I'm playing well, but after the round when I look at the scorecard I go... oh f...

Being under the influence actually made me play worse. My clubhead would be in excess of 120 mph at impact, and being off a couple of degrees would be drastic. I had to be in top shape mentally and physically to perform well.

Many believe they drive better drunk. I think it's more of an illusion. These people say they do drive better because they're more cautious about getting pulled over. Ok, I can see that. Now I'm a person that likes to drive fast. Do you think you can drive like a race car driver drunk?

I apologize for going a bit off topic here, but I guess I can just say with all these drug/alcohol use, our perceptions are a bit altered. That's what drugs are right? Mind altering substances? Then wouldn't it be safe to say that our logic is altered too? I know I was trying to come up with reasons how drugs don't affect me. It was difficult for me to say that drugs were impairing me. Drugs were ruining my life. Once I realized this, I learned that I had to fix myself.

for those that are recovering... good luck,

Andy

#17     Oct 17, 2002
  8. Have any of you had to cope with boredom?

For example, in many places it's pretty easy to feel that there isn't anything to do that doesn't somehow involve alcohol especially socially and in the evenings, etc..

Guess there's always an AA dance somewhere, I suppose.

Geo.

#18     Oct 25, 2002
  9. xianokie

xianokie

boredom...How can anyone be bored? I have never understood boredom but I guess thats cause my life is so full.

If you are truly struggling with boredom then go volunteer somewhere. Help adults or children learn to read, pickup trash along the side of the road, assist at a local church or retirement home the boy scouts always need help especially in the inner city. Nothing will make you feel better than helping others.

#19     Oct 25, 2002

10. One thing that helps me greatly is to work with other suffering alcoholics that are trying to sober up. 12th Step Work.

Also if you follow the prescribed recovery program and do all the things needed to truly get past the active stages of addiction you will be too busy cleaning up the wreckage of your past to be bored.

Only then will a feeling of contentment as a sober person set in.

PM me for elaboration if you'd like.

Paul

#20     Oct 25, 2002