Any reason to worry about our own broker?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HotTip, Mar 17, 2008.

1. nonam

nonam

Is Citibank IB's banker?:confused:

#21     Mar 17, 2008
  2. HKIB

HKIB

Ok, that should be what I need to do now.
    To be honest, I like IB, but this occasional technical error bothers me. Are you in HK, too?

#22     Mar 17, 2008
  3. No, I'm not in HK.

This is from the IB site.

"As a regulated broker, IB is subject to SEC and CFTC regulations on investment of customer funds. Permissible investment vehicles include bank deposits and a variety of top-rated government securities and related instruments. IB’s effective investment policy is more stringent than this, reflecting our risk-averse philosophy. We only invest customer funds in government securities and repos, cash deposits in bank accounts at the largest banks and the triple A-rated Money Market Funds (in which we invest less than 2% of customer assets)."

I'm not saying your money is 100% safe anywhere, even in a bank. You asked about money market funds - here is a partial answer. Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the guy who posted above that 100% of his net worth is in a brokerage account - that would be classified as a bad idea. IMO.

#23     Mar 17, 2008
  4. tds551

tds551

Ib is directly created by Timber Hill. One of the worlds largest and most successful OPtion Market Makers.

If Anything, they have a better understanding of risk than 99% of street whores out there.

Their model makes Black Scholes look like a 4th grage project.

#24     Mar 17, 2008
  5. HKIB

HKIB

Thanks, traderNik. I understand that nothing is 100% safe.

#25     Mar 17, 2008
  6. HotTip

HotTip

I thought about putting a withdrawl request for 10% of my account, but all that would happen is the money would be transferred to my checking account at Wells Fargo. I'm not sure that's necessarily a better situation unless I then withdraw the money and buy gold.

#26     Mar 17, 2008
  7. BCE

BCE

datamerc, in a different thread just posted this:
    datamerc

New Post 03-17-08 11:18 AM

IB is on the defensive - just got the following email from them with the attached PDF.

Dear IB Customer:

During the last few weeks we have been running an advertisement in the Wall Street Journal regarding the safety of moving money to Interactive Brokers. We want all of our customers to know that every word of this advertisement remains true and accurate. We are proud of our prudent and conservative policies that protect our clients' assets. Please click here to see our advertisement.

Sincerely,

Interactive Brokers

#27     Mar 17, 2008
  8. ashatet

ashatet

are you for real, trying to create panic about your own broker, I doubt you are legit...

#28     Mar 17, 2008
  9. ashatet

ashatet

no one uses Black Schoeles for option pricing, it is just a reference...

#29     Mar 17, 2008
  10. Fishbird

Fishbird

The risk of your account is not with IB but with Citibank. There your money is held and gone when C goes bankrupt.
    IB is fine and healthy but C is sick.

#30     Mar 17, 2008