Any reason to worry about our own broker?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HotTip, Mar 17, 2008.

1. What was the content of the email? You haven't told us if you asked questions or made comments. We can't judge whether the 'answer' you received was 'meaningful' unless we know what questions you asked. Actually, you don't even say that you asked any questions. Did you? What were they?

#11     Mar 17, 2008
  2. HKIB

HKIB

I sent them the email. I got the reply from th TWS window. So I could not find the exact message now. I am sorry I cannot find the original communications with IB.

Here was roughly what happened. A while ago I read an internet article which says that the money market is not safe in today's environment. Since my account is mostly cash, so I asked IB whether the cash in my account is safe or not. Instead of getting a personal asnwer to my questions, they just quote what they put in the website, which is not an answer to me.

#12     Mar 17, 2008
  3. Okay. You asked them whether the cash in your account is safe. What would you consider an acceptable answer?

#13     Mar 17, 2008
  4. HKIB

HKIB

I would like to know where they park the cash.

#14     Mar 17, 2008
  5. And did the links they gave you provide you with that information?

I'm an IB customer as well and if that's all you wanted to know, the information is pretty easy to get.

#15     Mar 17, 2008
  6. HKIB

HKIB

No. It just says something like insurance from SIPC and additional insurance from Lloyds, which I already know from the very beginning.

#16     Mar 17, 2008
  7. Why don't you just call them up and ask them? If you did your research before you opened an account with them, you know they don't care much about holding your hand and spending time answering questions which are already answered at the website.

IB is famous for having crappy customer service (although my own experience has been that they're not too bad if you know how to talk to the reps on the phone). You knew that when you opened an account there, right?

If you don't like searching through the website for information and you need to be able to talk to someone about your fears, you should probably switch brokers - IB is not for you.

#17     Mar 17, 2008
  8. I have my entire networth in TD Ameritrade.Now that ET is kind of finished, Iam assuming TD is the only big broker around. Should one be concerned?
    :mad:

#18     Mar 17, 2008
  9. HKIB

HKIB

Thanks, mokwit. Here I got another technical problem with IB. I caanot take a photo of my TWS window, so I export today's transaction report which is shown below:

AUD;BOT;1;0.8910;02:18:38;20080317;GLOBEX;xxxxxxx;;;

Here xxxxxxx is my account number. It says I bought 1 June contract of Australian Dollar at 0.8910. But the contract size shown in either the account window or TWS is 0. I have no idea whether the price has reached 0.8910 or not, because I cannot find the price history.

#19     Mar 17, 2008
  10. Are you in Hong Kong? I have called Hong Kong support several times and never waited more than 5 minutes for a rep. Why don't you call IB and ask them all of your questions??

Even if you're not in Hong Kong, why not just call them right now?? Long distance rates are pretty low these days.

#20     Mar 17, 2008