Any real reasons left to go with a desktop / tower over a laptop? (Faster / more powerful perhaps?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d0rian, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Well, is that because of economy or are there other benefits?

For someone who's not very computer savvy like me, it would not be my first choice, but maybe I should give it a go.

#51     Feb 27, 2020
  2. easymon1

easymon1

3. d0rian

d0rian

8GB RAM is overkill?

(I've never built my own rig though I like to tinker so may look into it -- out of curiosity, where does one get the OS -- presumably W10 -- for a self-build?)

#53     Feb 27, 2020
  4. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Licence from eBay and download - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

#54     Feb 28, 2020
  5. DevBru

DevBru

Most trading software doesn't require a lot of hardware, specially Sierra Chart for example.

#55     Feb 28, 2020
  6. easymon1

easymon1

maybe it is part drone

#56     Feb 28, 2020
  7. Mark2m

Mark2m

Yes, I figured expandability would be one of the prime considerations where I'm limited w/ a laptop. E.g. i use a high-end gaming laptop w/ 32GB DDR ram, but I suppose I wasn't sure whether the boost to 64GB-or-beyond (not possible in my machine) would be a noticeable upgrade for my purposes.

I am running a home built Windows desktop I7 with all the bells and whistles, multiple drives multiple video cards, etc.. My memory is at 32GB, a helpful hints Control/Alt/Delete, Task Manager will give you a good idea of CPU, but mainly memory usage. Since I have 5 screen I have noticed no lags but noticeably a good portion of my memory is utilized for Google Chrome 2.8Gb, IB X2 1.9Gb, than required incidentals like Malwarebytes 1/2gig, I doubt that adding more RAM will help since I am running a great deal of programs and only utilizing 35% of the 32GB.

#57     Mar 31, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.
  8. d0rian

d0rian

FWIW after reading about the Intel NUC's ITT, I actually bought one of the higher-end models (i7-10710U / 64GB ram). My previous setup sounds like it was similar to yours: high-end gaming laptop w/ 32GB running 2-3 external monitors...wanted to know what I was missing by having 32 instead of 64GB. Answer seems to be not much. I'd say performance is a little bit speedier / snappier on the NUC, but nothing dramatic. Heat issues haven't seemed to be an issue thus far with the NUC, which was a concern given small form factor...I guess I wish I'd bought it instead of the laptop since it was like a third the price.

#58     Mar 31, 2020
  9. maxpi

maxpi

I have a laptop and a desktop. I value the desktop far more: I can put the monitor(s) wherever I want, I can hide the cpu under the desk, I can expand the thing, etc..

Somebody said that Sierracharts doesn't take much computing resources; have you seen their minimum requirements?

#59     Apr 15, 2020
  10. FTDK

FTDK

I am currently running SierraChart on my desktop with 8GB RAM and an I5 3470.

Processor usage on average is 0,5%-2% and RAM usage on average is below 40 MB.

#60     Apr 15, 2020