Any real reasons left to go with a desktop / tower over a laptop? (Faster / more powerful perhaps?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d0rian, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

I feel the two biggest reasons for laptop overheating are, blocked vents (i.e. what the laptop is sitting on), and more importantly...

dust accumulation inside the cooling system.

That one is very often overlooked. Especially in laptops, compressed air needs to be blown through the vents to release the gobs of dust that gather on the internal bits of the fan, from time to time Simple maintenance. And with a desktop you can open the chassis and blow out the dust accumulating on the CPU cooling fins, power supply fan and other parts.

#31     Feb 19, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  2. FWIW, my laptop is placed on a rack like this and with the lid half-way open. So, I assume it should be pretty open in all directions:

upload_2020-2-19_22-58-47.png

I just had the fan turn on in jet engine mode for a good 20 seconds. I hate it when that happens. But it's now back to quiet mode.

#32     Feb 19, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Assuming you are using Windows, you should open your task manager, sort by CPU usage and stick it up in a corner. When you hear your fan go into turbo mode, glance at the manager. That should point you to the process-culprit.

#33     Feb 19, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  4. schizo

schizo

Here's even dumber question that I am certain you will be asking by this time next year: Is there any compelling reason to buy a notebook when I can fully automate my trades from the cloud? :D

#34     Feb 19, 2020
  5. d08

d08

They do help as the laptop I was talking about functions normally with the fans underneath it.
    Personally I'd never use that because it's bulky and shouldn't be needed. Better to get a laptop that runs cool and has good ventilation, I have a Thinkpad T440s myself and there's never a heat problem. Of course it has an integrated Intel GPU and low powered processor, it's not something I use for heavy work but it's capable enough for coding, compiling and most backtesting.

#35     Feb 19, 2020
  6. easymon1

easymon1

7. Handle123

Handle123

I keet couple trading laptops(one backup) never more than a year, never need more than 8 gigs dram for traveling.

If you doing automation, that is different story, better to have it closer to the exchanges on the whatever company you are renting space. Or if you doing membership, more of connection speed like T-1 or if you live in an area that has fiber internet, lucky you.

Got this a month ago cause of the heat buildup. So far happy with it.

#37     Feb 19, 2020
  8. Metamega

Metamega

I wouldn’t say laptops overheat and shut down, but they will throttle. So if your doing a lot of backtesting/optimization then over time the cpu will clock down.

If it starts shutting down then theirs a problem.

My Sager 8268 fans almost non stop. But it’s running a i7 at 3.4ghz up to 4.2 boost plus a gtx970m for graphics.

My Asus has a ryzen 5 3500u with built in Vega 8. Think clock is 2.4 or 2.6 with boost up to 3.2. Think I’ve heard the fan twice.

#38     Feb 20, 2020
  9. easymon1

easymon1

put them in here... [​IMG]

#39     Feb 20, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. d0rian

d0rian

Just checking out these NUC models...nice and tiny, but wouldn't the heat dissipation issue not be just as much of a drawback as it is with a laptop? The intel shared ITT suggests that a laptop with identical specs to a desktop will nonetheless have inferior performance because it will run hotter (at times, at least), so doesn't that exact same drawback exist for one of these NUCs that's the size of a wifi router?

(This also brings to mind a Q I posed earlier ITT: is there something about the construction of a laptop that "reserves" / dedicates a certain amount of a chipset's processing power to powering the laptop's HD screen? And if that's the case, then would a desktop -- or a NUC like this -- theoretically be able to dedicate 100% of the processing power to the working functionality without having to reserve a big chunk for the display?)

#40     Feb 25, 2020