Any Prop Firms in NYC That Can Do H1 Visas?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by okwon, Feb 6, 2003.

1. "H1b law requires that the visa applicant be working in a field whee there is a shortage, and the firm must demonstrate that applicants cannot be found at the prevailing wage."

you are technically correct, but H1-B's are being handed out to computer staff by the zillions when there is double digit unemployment among IT workers in this country.

#11     Feb 7, 2003
  2. Well, you got me there, what you say is absolutely true, and a major disgrace

#12     Feb 7, 2003
  3. mkmps

mkmps

well it is rather easy to rectify the "shortage" issue. You do some "out of target advertising" (like printing an ad for a trader in a Town Gossip Gazzette for senior homes) and providing proof of no qualified candidates is usually sufficient.

Usually the harder point to prove is that a 4 year degree is required fro the proffession. As a matter of fact, not all equity analyst professions are assumed to require a 4 yr degree, so it all depends on how you work what it is "trading" is. if you say I "buy/sell" and take a spread, they think you work at the Wiz. So my advice get a lawer and have them do it. Its pretty cheap too...
    m.

#13     Feb 7, 2003
  4. or you write he ad so that it contains obscure requirements that match the applicants background, that no one else would have, and are not even relevant to the new position

I've seen this done firsthand, a foriegn co-worker bragged about it.

#14     Feb 7, 2003
  5. mkmps

mkmps

yeah, obscure job description with a requirement to know some BOGUS IT procurrement system in the ad does the job too. Telling you, H1-B is not hard to get, just need motivation and an employer willing to pay you. Trading proffession, however, is a lot more finicky, as pay is not rated by "the national standard". i have a buddy at a covert bond shop, where his official title is something like market analyst, while he is actually trading and his salary is based on the take. m.

#15     Feb 7, 2003
  6. okwon

okwon

Thanks for the replies, so far I've only heard of two props that offer the H1. One was already mentioned and the other is charging pretty high commissions. (1.5c/s, 5c bullets, and 5k deposit w/ 70 payout) Not exactly a great deal. I figure since it's possible for these two places to give out H1s then there has to be a place with a decent deal.

#16     Feb 7, 2003
  7. with over 2 million jobs lost, and the memory of Silly-con Valley being so far distant in the past, its not even found in the history books,

well, yes the doors were opened until they fell off the hinges and depressed the wages and benefits and working conditions of US Residents due to the flood of the H1 Visa workers....

given these current 3+ year Depression Conditions, all those workers (for the vast majority of them) no longer have sponsors, because the technology boom went bust, and those companies went bust, then those workers no longer having gainful employ and sponsorship, certainly pose a tremendous hardship upon Uncle Sam's Nephews and Nieces, and Gov. Tom Ridge....

Whether or not their own countries could have, should have, would have wanted to keep their own and provide gainful employ is not the issue, its what happens to all those already here without further sponsorship?

what happens?, they migrate to other more restrictive industries (brokerage, trading, etc) and drive out other Residents?

which countries can US Residents go to, to get the same deal that they got here? Just curious?

#17     Feb 7, 2003
  8. It used to be like that. It's not anymore. Unemployment means that also H1 visa workers don't get jobs.

#18     Feb 7, 2003
  9. What hardship are you talking about? You mean they get unemployment benefits or something like that? No at all, they are not entitled to that. In fact by staying in this country and spending money here they can only help the local economy.

#19     Feb 7, 2003
  10. mkmps

mkmps

Answering someone who was saying that H1-B's take their jobs :))) That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. If you loose your job and you're on H1-b you've got roughly 1 month to get your stuff and leave to STAY LEGAL, or get another sponsor. H1 ar eonly given for 3 yr period 6 year beeing the MAX after that you have to leave the country, SO basically Uncle Sam gets the most productive years of H1's and then tells them to providing, the H1 proffesional doesn't steal one of your "US" women too.

Overall, usually, from my experience H1-B people tend to be very hard working 'cause loosing a job to them means going back to India, LIthuania or wherever and eating noodles again:)

Generally, it is much much harder to get H1's now + there's a yearly cap of like 20k of them or smth, I am not exectly sure about the number.

Anyways, be sure, H1's are not taking your job... Also, H1's do not depress wages, they ONLY increase since the sponsor is OBLIGATED to pay prevailing wage whatever it is that year...

MIndaugas

#20     Feb 7, 2003