Any pacifists out there?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bobcathy1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Next time I'll just dig one, then it'll be a tato! :D

#11     Jan 13, 2003
  2. maxpi

maxpi

But I loved watching the Gulf war on CNN, hope this next one is as good. If you can't do anything about something then might as well enjoy it.

It is really going to suck when our troops get in there this time though, they will be facing a nasty situation and Saddam will probably use the gas and all the stuff he's lying about.

Max

#12     Jan 13, 2003
  3. tampa

tampa

The only thing we know for sure is that one side or the other is being less than truthful. The problem is that my country has a long history of "fudging" the facts to gain my support. How very sad it is that I must bring that up...but I must.

#13     Jan 13, 2003
  4. I am against the war.

It is becoming more and more obvious that Bush wants to keep the people 'entertained' so that they forget about the economy. Saddam is not a bigger threat to this country than he has ever been, so why is this issue so important now? Sounds very fishy to me...

#14     Jan 13, 2003
  5. nothing like kicking back with a cold one, flicking on cnn and watching them go at it huh 'pi?

personally, i'm hoping iraq lobs a scud over to israel. they promised they weren't gonna take that crap sitting down this time. hopefully they'll get involved. love to see the israelis kick some arab butt again -- 1967 six-day style ...

#15     Jan 14, 2003
  6. ****************************************************
    I am against the war.

It is becoming more and more obvious that Bush wants to keep the people 'entertained' so that they forget about the economy. Saddam is not a bigger threat to this country than he has ever been, so why is this issue so important now? Sounds very fishy to me...

You could be right, but I think Saddam is far nastier than anyone realizes and I think most world leaders are actually scared.

Let me ask a question: why are other Arab leaders helping us out in the war with Iraq? Why would Turkey, Jordan and even Saudii Arabia help us gringos attack a country of beloved Arab brothers?

I'll tell you why: they're scared of this guy. They know what he's got and they know what he's capable of.

In fact, far from providing simple American entertainment, I would argue that Bush is taking a huge personal politcal risk with this war. This war isn't very popular; it is already pushing up our deficit and the political aftermath in Iraq will very likely be ugly and expensive.

I think he's doing it because he knows he has to do it even if it destroys him politically. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but I think he's doing it because he knows the eurocrats won't do it - he's the only political leader on the globe with the juevos to do it.

I don't think anyone on planet earth will be sorry to see Hussein go (except Bin Laden). The question is this: will Bush and Company stop there or will he keep moving around the globe playing global cop?

#16     Jan 14, 2003
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

:confused: speechless

#17     Jan 14, 2003
  8. wild

wild

United States World Intervention
    Ranked By Year

http://www.coreyturner.com/usa-intervention.asp

regards

wild

#18     Jan 14, 2003
  9. Cheney and Rumsfeld are both total pacifists.

They plan to bomb Iraq into complete pacifism.

:)

#19     Jan 14, 2003
  10. wild

wild

U.S. State Department Policy Planning Study #23, 1948:

“Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity [U.S. military-economic supremacy]... To do so, we will have to dispense with all sentimentality and day-dreaming... We should cease to talk about vague and...unreal objectives such as human rights, the raising of the living standards, and democratization. The day is not far off when we are going to have to deal in straight power concepts. The less we are then hampered by idealistic slogans, the better.”

— George Kennan
    Director of Policy Planning
    U.S. State Department

#20     Jan 14, 2003