Any overnight traders out there?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bankedout, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Maybe you are the wrong person to ask on account of your short bias, but has geopolitical risk post 9/11 changed any of your thinking on your position trades?

Thanks.

Geo.

#31     Dec 23, 2002
  2. If anything, I would rather be short than long especially since 9-11. A stock is not going to go crazy overnight to the upside (unless a company is a target of a takeover). However, if bad news should arise, a stock could easily fall fast. I feel more comfortable being short.

I don't know if you are referring to being Un-American by shorting?

#32     Dec 23, 2002
  3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I agree. I only go short overnight comfortably.
    When I am long, I am up 3 times making sure nothing bad happened. Ruins my beauty sleep!

#33     Dec 24, 2002
  4. I certainly hope the market trends down for the rest of your lives.

Happy Holidays,

Banker

#34     Dec 24, 2002
  5. rs7

rs7

Used to trade overnights exclusively. As did many traders from the mid 90s through around mid 2000.

Pure momentum trades. Buy strong stocks, short weak stocks near the end of the day and hope for follow through.

When the bull run ended, a lot of us got hurt. Having seen the rapid bounce back in late 98 (asian contagion), it was hard to accept the bull was really dead.

The days of easy money in that style of overighting are long gone. But lots of money was made for quite a few years.

Didn't take too much skill to just buy AMZN and YHOO and MSFT and INTC and SUNW etc., every day. Made so much on IOMG it felt like stealing. (that was I think in about 1996...) NSCP and AOL were always fun too. Miss those days:(

Now, I barely consider holding a position over night. Rule of thumb is if I have more than a 1% profit in a position at the close, I will carry half or less of the position overnight. Depends on the size. And the relative strength of the stock over a period of the past 3-5 trading sessions.

Probably about breaking even on these trades for the past year. Can't say why I hold any. Maybe I need the adrenaline rush in the morning to start my day:confused:

Peace,
    :)rs7

#35     Dec 24, 2002
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

OOH is that a case of sour grapes. Unless something has changed, I do not control the market. Emotional nellies seem to. So you have to try and outguess them. And they seem to be very depressed lately.
    Being able to short does not change that. I have no idea why some people think that. :confused:

#36     Dec 24, 2002
  7. You will do much better holding shorts overnight in a down trending market. At least from my experience. That's why I hoped it would trend down for you. If it trends up strongly for the rest of your life, you may regret not holding longs overnight at some point in the future.

Good luck,

Banker

#37     Dec 24, 2002
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I asked Santa for a Bull market.
    I also asked him for nerves of steel.
    And a crystal ball.

Merry Merry

#38     Dec 24, 2002
  9. http://www.wehug.com/crystal-ball-quartz.html

Hopefully Santa has an internet connection and a credit card.

Banker

#39     Dec 24, 2002
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

:D :D
    I never realized those balls were so expensive

#40     Dec 24, 2002