Any overnight traders out there?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bankedout, Dec 21, 2002.

1. #21     Dec 22, 2002
  2. #22     Dec 22, 2002
  3. No problem. Short away. But really, what makes shorting PALM "low risk" at the $18.50 level? Is it the fact that prices have tried to get through that area four times since September, and each time they have failed to make it above that area? Or is there something else? Would you have a target to take profits at? How long do you think you would be holding it? Where would you put an exit stop if you used one?

Just curious about your methodology,

Banker

#23     Dec 22, 2002
  4. Good question and a good thread. I guess no conclusion has been reached yet how profitable it can be or even less so how to approach it. I too have been considering trading overnight if only because living on the West Coast can be such a pain in the butt. I mean getting at 6 AM for a very night person like myself can be quite a problem at times. Anyway, the point is to anticipate the next morning trend. I will have to look at it I guess. It can be interesting.

Does anyone here trade Forex? I guess it trades 24 hours, right? But how about volume?

#24     Dec 22, 2002
  5. GD2KNO

GD2KNO

In these days of "terrorism" and "anti-terrorism" I believe it is not a bad tactic to keep a stop working in the overnight market about 3% below the market.

Such a stop is not a bad idea during the daymarket as well. Now that I recall watching the last bar in the pre-opening trading on 9/11.

It is unlikely that such a stop would be hit on any given night, but if it is, the bottom is likely much lower.

#25     Dec 22, 2002
  6. cheeks

cheeks

500 Naz, okay, with ya all the way on that one.

1200 Dow? I respectfully disagree there.

#26     Dec 23, 2002
  7. I think there have been conclusions reached by some people about how profitable it can be, and how to approach it.

The point does not have to be "to anticipate the next morning trend". Although if that's what you want, that can be the point for you. If you are trading the weekly chart, you probably won't care what the next morning's trend is. I'm not saying you have to trade the weekly chart to hold overnight though.

Forex is interesting. I also wonder about the volume. Hopefully someone will come along some day and share some information.

Banker

#27     Dec 23, 2002
  8. Well, the Dow peaked at 386.10 on September 3rd, 1929. On July 8th, 1932 it traded as low as 40.60. Sometimes it takes something dramatic to demoralize an entire generation of investors. Heck, I still know some people riding things down from our recent peak. They don't feel worried at all about the market. That makes me wonder how much lower prices will have to go to get those people worried enough to abandon their stocks.

Sure the decline has been relatively gentle so far, but that doesn't mean it can't pick up some steam at some point. At least in my mind.

Regards,

Banker

#28     Dec 23, 2002
  9. Foz

Foz

Well, if you do short PALM, let me know how it works out. Even though I'm not betting on your horse, I still like to watch them race.

#29     Dec 23, 2002
  10. Palm sucks period. Bad management :mad:

Big fad. They're giving these things away :p

Triple Tops at $18.50 do look nice :cool:

My first point for profit taking would be the $15 level, I would sell at this point, then doulble out and go long for a quick $1.50 bounce. Then possibly short again after support is broken at about $14.67, an enjoy the ride DOWN :D

I made 6 figures shorting this Bitch in 2001 :D

Trading sytle:
    Technical = 80%
    Fundamentals = 20%
    25 years of GUT instinct :D

Check the price in springtime :eek:

#30     Dec 23, 2002