any other funds similar to Renaissance Tech?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by trend2009, Jan 5, 2017.

1. James simons' medallion fund use intra-day trend strategies. most of quantitative funds on wall street are based on arb strategies. I know a few quantitative trend fund, but their performances are not stable and at least swing-based. my question is: is there any other quantitative trend-based intraday fund?

2. I didn't realise anyone knew what medallion did... I'd be surprised if it was intra-day trend.

GAT

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk

To answer your question: yes, there are other quantitative "trend-based" intraday funds. One of them - in which I am invested - has returned 1428% in the last 6 years (and I am more than happy about it). The fund is based in Europe - in Luxemburg to be precise. Quite an uncommon place for a fund like this.

On average the fund returned +48% per year. In 2016 it returned +56,50 net of fees.

Like Medallion it predicts price changes in easily-traded financial instruments (exchange traded derivatives - mostly financial futures, no commodity futures). The fundĀ“s models are based on analyzing as much data as can be gathered, then looking for non-random movements to make predictions.

Non-random movements is the key word.

For the record: I also invested into a couple of other so-called "quantitative funds" which were a complete disaster! I had especially bad experience with quantitative long/short equity strategies.

4. water7

water7

impressive year :]

did you cut them off this year?
    how many quant funds you currently invested?

thanks

5. 2rosy

2rosy

where did you get this info? ass-u-me

6. Chris Mac

Chris Mac

At least 1/3 of Euro funds are registred in Luxembourg.
    What is the ISIN code or Ticker? Performances are audited, right?
    +1428% for this fund in 6 years, even Medallion is a big laggard.

CM

haroldg likes this.
  7. just21

just21

James Simons talks about trend following in his TED talk at 10 mins in.

8. R1234

R1234

I'd love to know who this fund is and whether I can invest! I bet they don't take US money.
    They seem on par with Medallion (or better). Medallion has averaged an annual return of approx 47% for the past 10 yrs, and approx 34% for the past 5 years.

9. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

@Nighthawk said "The fund is based in Europe - in Luxemburg to be precise."

There's your answer.

Most international firms, but in particular EU firms won't touch US money with a bargepole.

You'll find they won't take on new clients, and any existing clients who are not worth the hassle (i.e. not bringing the business) will simply be told (if they haven't already been) to go back where they came from.

Why ?

Not because of EU regulations. But because of the archeic worldwide taxation policy of the US and the ensuing archaeic rules imposed on foreign financial firms and additionally archeic financial penalties if they fail to follow any part of the rules.

The US and Eritrea are the only two countries in the world that tax people based on their citizenship.

EU firms have more than enough regulatory burden as it on their home-turf is without having to deal with a whole lot more coming from the yanks, which in the case of the taxation stuff is a whole load of un-necessary drivel that does nothing except take up time and money and generate reams of pointless paperwork.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  10. Sig

Sig

Wow, ignore a significant piece of the world's wealth because it's too much hassle? Must be nice. You'd think you could hire a bunch of experts who could pretty easily take care of that kind of thing for you and just pass the cost on to the Yanks. They've got whole professions for that kind of thing, they call them lawyers and accountants.

#10     Jan 13, 2017