Any options trade on closed-end funds?

Discussion in 'Options' started by dcwriter2, Nov 30, 2019.

1. I know Tricontinental had options on a few years back. Any others? (Yes, I know the liquidity would be close to nil.)

2. As of Wednesday:

SYMBOL , VOLUME, OI
    ======= ======== ==
    ASA , 10, 1529
    CAF , 0, 388
    DSL , 4, 1725
    IFN , 20, 149
    KYN , 29, 2321

List may not be exhaustive

3. Whoa, wow thanks. You got a Bloomberg at home or something?

4. No, just an ok EOD database. Here is the query I used:

Code:
    select base as symbol,sum(volume) as volume,sum(oi) as oi 
      from Options where source = 'LVOL' and sdate = '20191127'
        and base in (select unique symbol from CEFNavs) 
     group by base order by base;

Problems with the CBOE/LiveVol download last night, that is why it is from the 27th and not the 29th.

5. Very cool, and thank you again.

6. Cabin111

Cabin111

Been there...Done that. The problem is there is no real volume for these option...None at all. I have PEO and HAO (China...not closed end but same volume issue). Can not find anyone to trade with. I will look closer now that Schwab and Fidelity have gone to 0 commissions...But options are a real no go for closed end funds.

7. Sig

Sig

Have you entered limit orders around the mid and not been filled or just see wide bid/ask spreads? I ask because often MMs leave wide spreads around illiquid securities but will hit something around the mid if you put it up.

8. Cabin111

Cabin111

PEO is a widow-and-orphen stock. Preserve capital...Pay the dividend...Get out of losing stocks...Move on. I would throw darts at "sale to open" sometimes...Keep dropping my price for a few days then let it expire...Never filled. Again, with PEO, the options are a waste of my time, compared to something like Exxon Mobil. Example below of volume and open interest...

PEO200515C00017180

Expire Date 2020-05-15
    Day's Range 0.2500 - 0.2500
    Contract Range N/A
    Volume N/A
    Open Interest N/A
    Previous Close 0.2500
    Open N/A
    Bid 0.1000
    Ask 0.2500
    Strike N/A

9. .sigma

.sigma

Optioncoach has IMO the greatest thread on close-end funds in the journals section. Go read that asap, his knowledge of CEF's made me look into them and eventually as I grow older I definitely want a portion of my cash in them.

Hey @El OchoCinco can we get your 2020 views on close-ended funds since its been awhile since that thread was created?

Cheers!