Any old timers who shorted Nasdaq in 2000?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by pinetboltz, Dec 18, 2017.

1. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

With the tax plan being priced into the market for the umpteenth time, it'll be interesting to see how much farther the parabolic rise is going to last...just waiting for Gartman to announce he's "going long 1 unit," any day now.

For the old pros who shorted Nasdaq in 2000, any stories to share? How did u maximize your gains? What would u have done differently, in retrospect?

Looking thru the charts this weekend, Nasdaq had a 80% drawdown starting in March 2000 to October 2002, almost mirroring the parabolic rise on the downside. Guess the cash burn rate of no-profit companies on flimsy business models eventually comes to the forefront in a rising rate environment, like last time.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. I shorted corresponding to 40% of my capital at the time. If Bitcoin crosses into the 20 thousands and IB have opened up for short positions, I will place a short with maximum 5% of my capital (which incidentally is much more than the 40% short Nasdaq in 2000).

Never go all in on a short position. Never go all in on any position. That's my advice.

3. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

how close to the top tick were u?

4. Euler09

Euler09

"Don't sell yourself short" <- what does this old saying mean?

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. I wasn't close to the top. I entered gradually on the way down. As I remember it, the majority of the position during late fall 2000.

6. algofy

algofy

It’s ET man, everybody got the top tick.

jys78, Euler09 and tomorton like this.
  7. Heck yeah! I can recall having gone long on top tic a couple of times.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    i960, murray t turtle and Xela like this.
  8. Euler09

Euler09

I guess you caught the bug early.....get it? :)

9. Euler09

Euler09

I guess you caught the bug early.....get it? :)

10. ??

#10     Dec 18, 2017