Any of you guys using a Statin ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by derektrader, Aug 11, 2020.

1. tango29

tango29

I go in at the end of the month for a physical and lab work. I will see if cutting back on the statin and working on diet has had any impact on my numbers. I will also have to endure a lecture from my doc. If the numbers are good I will cut back more or to no statin and see how that goes for a year.

#41     Aug 4, 2022
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

My total cholesterol went from 199 to 80 when I got on 80 mg Atorvastatin. 60 of that is HDL. I'm given to understand that Atorvastatin will actually stabilize existing plaque and will shrink it to a degree.

#42     Aug 4, 2022
  3. #43     Aug 4, 2022
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Plaque removal is one thing, preventing a heart attack is another one. If you cared to check the latest video, the current meta analysis in the JMA showed that there was 1 % chance of increased prevention of measurable hard points (heart attack, death).

If a 1% increase is worth muscle cramps and other side effects, go for it.

#44     Aug 4, 2022
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Wrong link? 3 stories, none of them talks about detailed diet.

#45     Aug 4, 2022
  6. The first story is the relevant one. It's in there.

#46     Aug 4, 2022
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Found it:

"plant-based, very low fat, diets to reverse heart disease. I use the term “plant-based,” rather than “vegan,” because the latter simply connotes avoiding animal food. "

Interestingly people eating the exact opposite of this (keto) achieve the exact same results.

#47     Aug 4, 2022
  8. Overnight

Overnight

One of the few things I am blessed with is low cholesterol, no matter what I eat. Granted, I do not eat as much as when I was younger, but I love my MEAT. Yummy cows. Or dragons. It doesn't matter. MEAT. MEAT. MEAT.

#48     Aug 4, 2022
  9. Overnight

Overnight

B1S2, I saw your serum cholesterol post before you or someone else deleted it. I have no idea what the difference is between blood serum and "regular" cholesterol is, I did not know there was a difference. I just get my cholesterol numbers every 6 months and they are doing fine. And I eat MEAT!

#49     Aug 4, 2022
  10. #50     Aug 4, 2022