Any of you guys using a Statin ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by derektrader, Aug 11, 2020.

1. I just started taking 10 mg Atorvastatin, at nighttime with CoQ10. I have yet to measure my glucose.

#21     Oct 25, 2020
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am not sure whom you are addressing so let's just throw in a fact here:

Older people with higher cholesterol levels live LONGER.

In your case statin is totally not needed, but big pharma would like to thank you. If your Trygs are high, there are a bunch of natural ways to lower it. Hell, there is even natural statin in Red Yeast Rice.

#22     Oct 25, 2020
    userque likes this.
  3. When people cut sugars and empty carbs triglycerides tend to come down rather easily.

#23     Oct 25, 2020
    userque likes this.
  4. There's a reason half our country is obese. Food lobbies, tobacco lobbies etc are quite powerful. good luck getting the hersheys bars off the front aisle of a gas station or a mcdonalds off every major city street corner. Good luck changing the american diet. It's easy to talk about things in theory, its hard to execute for the bulk of the population. Congrats to you for diet modifying and prioritizing your health. In reality much respect to you for this. However, statins are available for the individuals who do not have the discipline to follow suit. Additionally, red yeast rice (RYR) most definitely works but its side effect profile (hepatotoxicity, myopathies etc etc) and its generic dose titration does not make it suitable in a significant fraction of this at risk population. For the minority who are candidates this is viable but i would still speak to a viable physician before dosing. Considering the fact that statins, anti-hyperglycemics, and anti-hypertensives are usually the starting cocktail for a lot of these individuals. Are you aware of RYR drug drug interactions with other cardiovascular agents, for when their disease inevitably progresses?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    #24     Oct 26, 2020
  5. I used to. Now my levels are okay.

#25     Nov 25, 2020
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

"EPA seems very promising for reducing cardiovascular risk:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa1812792

Among patients with elevated triglyceride levels despite the use of statins, the risk of ischemic events, including cardiovascular death, was significantly lower among those who received 2 g of icosapent ethyl twice daily than among those who received placebo."

#26     Nov 25, 2020
    userque likes this.
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Lipitor and the other hydrophobic statins can be very dangerous even at surprisingly
    low dose to a subset of the population. Many lawsuits pending. Your physician may tell you that sore muscles are a side effect, but in some subset of the population sore muscles (e.g., bottoms of your feet hurt) are a sign of rhabdomyolysis. If your urine turns amber or brown stop taking the statin immediately. Contact your physician. The hydrophyllic statin Pravachol (pravastatin) is the most studied. Probably somewhat safer than the others.

#27     Nov 25, 2020
    userque likes this.
  8. arko_man

arko_man

I diet very well, lift weights, and do cardio and yet my LDL is still high. Its genetic, my liver over produces LDL.
    A low dose statin is very safe and effective as long as you are eating properly and exercising.

#28     Jan 29, 2021
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

If you take Co-Q10 with it.

#29     Jan 30, 2021
  10. I took it, I didn't really like the effect. For fast muscle growth and fat reduction, I use aqua test steroid in more detail here. Forget total cholesterol, its all about LDL and triglycerides.

#30     Feb 1, 2021
    Pekelo likes this.