Any of you guys using a Statin ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by derektrader, Aug 11, 2020.

1. There are also studies that show stains reduce dementia amd a,zheimers due to their anti inflammatory effects.

#11     Aug 18, 2020
  2. deaddog

deaddog

Who paid for those studies?

#12     Aug 18, 2020
  3. Statins should only be taken by those in the highest risk categories. The side effects of long term statin use or severe.

Most people can reduce their dangerous cholesterol levels or ratios through proper diet and exercise but many doctors are prescription happy and many people are lazy.

#13     Aug 18, 2020
    piezoe likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Huh? You mean eat less and exercise? That is so 1990s, old man. Are you sure you're gluten free? Wheat will kill you. Didn't grandma tell you that while having your morning bowl of wheat germ?

#14     Aug 20, 2020
  5. destriero

destriero

You're eating too much dick. No judgment.

#15     Aug 20, 2020
  6. deaddog

deaddog

Kinda like cut your losses short and let your winners run. Easy to say and hard to do.

#16     Aug 21, 2020

7. For many people cholesterol can be managed by diet and exercise.... however drug companies do not make money if doctors prescribe diet and exercise so they push statins. even if you choelsterol number is high, you have to look at the ratios and also the size of your choelsterol particles. A number of 230 is not high and requires statins if you do not do the full lipid profile and look at the ratios.

Some people are genetically predisposed to produce high amounts of cholesterol and then take in more in their diet. If they limit their intake of cholesterol and properly maintain a healthy lifestyle the ratios will be in a healthy range.

Statins are often only recommended for those people with a significantly high risk of heart disease as a fast needed measure to reduce their risks. Look at the studies used to support the FDA approval of statins....they are bullshit and most new studies show they should only be prescribe in very specific cases.

However doctors hand out scripts like tic tacs because it is just easier that way...most GP doctors have no nutrition or dietician backgrounds, just what they remember from one rotation in school. You don't need to do keto or no carbs or anything crazy. Small adjustments to the diet and regular exercise can bring down cholesterol and adjust the ratios and numbers without a statin which is like sending in a nuclear bomb in a crowded city to take out a bunker.

#17     Aug 21, 2020
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Oh, my favorite topic. They do work well, they decrease your risk of heart attack by 1%. Yeap that is it, they just mess with the math to make it sound 36%. I have a long video to prove it.
    They also work very well to decrease your CoQ-10 level in your heart what is actually pretty bad.

But anyway, if you are female and over 50, and generally healthy, there is absolutle no reason to take statins, your chance of dying won't be affected whatsoever. (your slight gain in CVD counteracted by your increased risk in cancer)>>>>I take a quick heart attack over a 6 months fight with cancer anyday

Proven fact (is there any kind?) that for older people high cholesterol decreases the risk of dying. Yeap, you heard it well. The only group who should take statin is those who already had a CVD event. For prevention it is literally shit.

Anyhow, here is everything what you need to know about statins. Little long, but very entertaining:

I am not an anti-vaxxer but statins and carb/sugar government recommendations are the reasons why people should study the issues themselves intead of blindly believing whatever Big Pharma says. (like statin in drinking water)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    #18     Aug 21, 2020
    deaddog likes this.
  9. I diet very well, lift weights, and do cardio and yet my LDL is still high. Its genetic, my liver over produces LDL.
    A low dose statin is very safe and effective as long as you are eating properly and exercising.

#19     Aug 21, 2020
    debakeyscastro likes this.
  10. People like to blame it on the doctors. The fact is most individuals make excuses for not taking the reins on their health. This is especially pertinent when it comes to things like cigarette smoking and other vices. Go to the South walk into a PCP clinic and tell a single one of those patients (60-80% of a town) that they are obese and they look at you like you said the most taboo thing ever. If patients don't want to take health into their control with dietary modification and lifestyle changes then statin mono or combinatorial therapy is to be expected. It's bs to blame it on the doctor when individuals are noncompliant with their health and exercise needs. Also when an individual has a lipid profile thats 4-5x the upper bounds of normal they may need a statin for reasons well beyond standard diet/exercise. Genetic predisposition, enzymatic/biochemical processing deficiencies etc are viable causes of hyperlipidemia. This is especially pertinent if their triglycerides are sky high and they are predisposed to horrendous complications like pancreatitis etc.

I agree with your comments on the drug companies but at this point with the vast majority of physicians being hospital employed, pharmaceutical incentives have minimal impact on their job security or on their yearly RVUs. This is especially pertinent when it comes to your PCP who prescribes statins and is much less accurate when it comes to your neurosurgeon recommending a new vagal nerve stimulator that they are getting sizeable kickbacks on. Healthcare has changed. If you have a bone to pick go after medical administrators and pharma, not the physicians.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    #20     Oct 25, 2020