Any of You Day Trade Options Near Expiration?

Discussion in 'Options' started by zghorner, Nov 22, 2019.

1. zghorner

zghorner

I am talking about buying, not shorting, highly liquid options near or on expiration day. Just curious where this lies between common and taboo. ATM options have crazy volatility close to expiration...i know volatility is a good thing in short term trading so the question popped into my mind.

I dont see this being mentioned much which makes me think it is avoided for a good reason...Do the price swings happen too fast making it too hard to manage risk?

Please enlighten me.

2. Yes, been doing it manually for a while now. For day trading I use options between DTE=0...3 but also, I trade a couple of strikes away. A guy on Twatter who does the same thing is https://twitter.com/thegodoftrading

athlonmank8 and zghorner like this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

16years back, last day, find a stock say price 49.5 buy some calls at like 30cents and a move to 52 ie 4% area gets a huge 1 day profit, likely breaking even over all on this.

zghorner likes this.
  4. Yeah, I would not suggest this method. The amount you pay for time value is unreasonable.

trustedsource likes this.
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

It was like a $30 bet with the chance of making back $200, done for fun nothing more.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  6. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

It's not a change in the price swings of the underlying that makes it difficult, but the price swings of the options themselves. All their components become super steroid and they turn into these giant short term bets with magnified outcomes.
    I personally did what I can to reduce my positions about 10 days prior to expry, but I knew plenty of people that loved trading one day options. So nothing inherently wrong with doing so, maybe even easier for you since you'd be looking at them as pure bets, which is what they are, with so little time left.

7. Truer words have never been said! I've traded low-delta Iron Condors in 0-day $SPXW.X, and it's a wild-ass ride. Thetas and gammas in the thousand-plus range are "fun" to see, especially when the price is close to one of your short positions... if you're short on adrenaline, that's the position to take.

If you're going to trade $SPXW.X, I'd suggest getting familiar with the movement patterns in it - the lunchtime slowdown and the 90-second crackmonkey scramble just before the close. That damn thing's got a switchblade, and it'll cut you three ways - deep, wide, and often - if you go in naive and clueless.

zghorner likes this.

8. yeah, he either breaks even or makes 100%. soon he'll have all the money in the world. why even bother to trade anymore !

9. been watching eod options on expire for years. very fast. very tricky . lots of gain if you get it right

200% is easy

10. Overnight

Overnight

So you options freaks are what cause that "before-close" scramble. I knew it! I so hate options, they are totally Crazy Eddie...

Speaking of which, we are nearing X-mas again!

Here's options during the X-Mas holiday...

#10     Nov 22, 2019