Any news? Market just spiked up a lot.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ganesh6, Feb 20, 2008.

1. IT probably the bears are coverning or some information must have leaked out
    Another 50 BP cut

#11     Feb 20, 2008
  2. everyone please check your T&S at 12:04 for the ES, then you'll see why the market popped.

#12     Feb 20, 2008
  3. A manufactured rally in which to sell?

That would be consistent with classic market theory--accumulation, marking it up, distribution, marking it down.

#13     Feb 20, 2008
  4. ganesh6

ganesh6

If the buyer buys a huge qty of ES and it spikes, do the stocks just follows ES?

#14     Feb 20, 2008
  5. Is it possible to post a screenshot? I am using IB and isnt getting accurate t&s data? If not possible, at least describe how many times and contracts traded on the offer ? Thanks

#15     Feb 20, 2008
  6. That does not explain it really, just shows the volume that came in to move it higher. Still begs the question why at 12:00 PM would size come in to move it like that except to simply drag some sheep and then kill it down after lunch.

Here is my bold statement... fade this rally as we find 1338 again on ES before the close.

#16     Feb 20, 2008
  7. Exactly.
    Or as Steidlmayer puts it:
    1. Series of prices in one direction.
    2. Trade to a price to stop the market.
    3. Develop around that stopping price.
    4. Move to efficiency (retracement).

#17     Feb 20, 2008
  8. This was the catalyst, how often do you see someone sweep the book with a decently large buy mkt order then bid the plus with 2k+ ES lots and doesnt walk (especially in a quiet market prior)? I dont know why he came in at this time, only that this event started the rally. Maybe he bought more after that? Or maybe others jumped in and carried the mkt higher. who knows, all I can say is this started the rally, plain and simple.

My job is not to ask why but to see whats happening, understand the circumstances and make profitable trades. As you know OC, its about spotting clues and making good trades.

#18     Feb 20, 2008
  9. Cesko

Cesko

Word got out that I was short. Conflicted about going short all morning, finally got convinced few seconds before "whatever happened". Fortunately I was out immediately. LOL.LOL.

#19     Feb 20, 2008
  10. I dumped my long once I saw Dennis Kneale and Bob Pisani. F the FOMC pump.

#20     Feb 20, 2008