Any Mensa Members?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Apr 25, 2003.

1. I am curious if anyone here on ET is a member of Mensa? I am interested in taking the test but have read that Mensa requires a 98th percentile or higher in standardized intelligence tests.

Is anyone a member? Are there any perks for members? Is it just a waste of time?

2. First find out if they got nice single bitches... if they havent, dont bother joining...

3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes, Bob was a member at one time. It is the top 2%, you are right on that. I know people who like the meetings and met people there, Bob thought they were a big bore.

But do take the test. You get one for home and if you get a high enough score they will give you one that is proctored. Might be nice to know your IQ. I do. Shocked the shit out of me.:) :cool:

4. In a good or a bad way?

5. Better qualify that "single" with "single AND good looking" or you'll be sorry :)

aphie - it's a potential networking opportunity or theoretically being able to find people with like tastes and interests for socializing, but then again similar IQs don't imply similar tastes (or in some cases, any taste at all). And they've got events, meetings, and gatherings.

I believe they've got a 4th of July national gathering - kind of like the Hell's Angel's 4th of July meet except without the heavy drinking, wild debauchery, fighting, shooting, etc. (you know, without the fun) :)

I believe the entry quals (Mensa, not the Hell's Angels) were something like mininum Stanford-Benet IQ test score of 132 or an pre-1975 SAT score of 1300 (although the SAT has been dumbed down so much over the years that you'd probably need 2000+ these days, problem being that 1600 is still the max :) )

They may have gone to their own test by now though.

There's probably a Mensa website you can check out if you're really interested.

While the fact that 100 being the average IQ is actually pretty scary, there are a lot of "smart" (132+) types with absolutely no common sense or who are too warped that you won't want to be around them either. Conversely, there are a lot of folks with sub-"genius" IQs who are a hell of a lot more fun to work and play with.

Gotta go with what'll make you happy though. Good luck.

6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Good that it was high, bad that I never did anything with it really. If I knew I was that smart, maybe I could have pushed myself more. Mixed blessing knowing it.:)

7. "While the fact that 100 being the average IQ is actually pretty scary, there are a lot of "smart" (132+) types with absolutely no common sense or who are too warped that you won't want to be around them either."
    _________

If I'm not mistaken, Mensa fails to account for the Flynn Effect (massive IQ 'inflation' over the past decades, since the WW1 era.)

100 is no longer the average IQ, and 132 is no longer the top 2 percentile.

8. I can say that at some meetings there are nice looking females. One is now my wife. You'd think she would be smarter than to marry me. Huh....

9. Oh, Candle isn't interested in marrying them, he just likes to smoke weed & eat their pussies :D

10. We were all young once.

#10     Apr 25, 2003