Any legal issues with posting a level II video??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Math_Wiz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ^^^^ as long as he is making money... :(

#11     Jan 2, 2008
  2. can you share any links to good traders?

#12     Jan 2, 2008
  3. The question is why do you want to post video of your trading? whats the purpose?

#13     Jan 3, 2008
  4. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Maybe for learning, maybe for teaching. It is sometimes hard to precisely describe what happens on a level 2 screen, and on the Time/Sales screen, when you place limit orders, when you place market orders, when you cancel orders. For every action you make in the market, there is reaction on the part of the other participants. And you can "see" alot of the "reactions" on the various screens (level 1, level 2, time/sales, Island Book, etc). I think a picture (video) is worth 1000 words, perhaps 10,000 words in this case. But I just want to make sure it is legal before doing it.

+-*/ Math_Wiz

#14     Jan 4, 2008
  5. belmondo

belmondo

i think there is no legal issue with posting level II video here for learning purposes. i am not American and I now that you can be sued for anything, but IF and that is the big IF, provider or whoever might have something to do with Level II will not like what will you do, than they will let you know to stop it.

but if it would be a pay service, than that could be a problem.

for example, in most books, under the chart, there is a note "with permission of eSignal, Bloomberg etc. and here we are posting pictures without any permission and nobody is care.

so start posting for learning purposes

P.S. sorry for my english

#15     Jan 4, 2008
  6. Some ET members have posted videos at ET that contains live action of level 2, times & sales and their broker platform without showing their trading account number.

However, those were short duration videos (not more than 15 seconds long).

I can't imagine any legal issues of such unless a trader is showing something that's a service of a vendor that's copyright protected.

Simply, if you plan on showing your own stuff...

Go for it and you'll join the few that have done so for whatever reasons.

Also, there are some videos of such scatter across the internet (youtube, websites et cetera) but they are hard to find that contains level II, times & sales and actual trades being executed in the broker trading platform.

I have my own collection of videos for every trading day for the past few years via using Camtasia but they contain private info I don't want anyone to see.

I usually fill up a DVD worth of 4-5 trading days.

Mark

#16     Jan 4, 2008
  7. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

. . . . :eek:

+-*/ Math_Wiz

#17     Jan 4, 2008
  8. gaj

gaj

you should get it approved through the service that provides the level 2.

#18     Jan 4, 2008
  9. Joab

Joab

I think its a great idea .... go for it

#19     Jan 4, 2008
  10. Strongly agree.

Just a simple phone call to the sales folks of the charting program and broker trade execution platform to explain what you want to do will prevent any potential legal headaches if he doesn't ask.

Heck...have a sample video available and send them a copy so that they can see exactly what's going on.

Most would give the dumbs up because its free advertising of their charting program or broker trade execution platform.

While he's at it in getting permissions...

He should also contact Baron (ET owner) about such especially if the data provider and broker are not sponsors of ET.

There's a strict policy about promotion/advertising the services of non-sponsers.

I've seen many messages at ET deleted and/or traders banned because they consistently mentioned the services of a non-sponser in their message posts under the facade of showing charts of pattern signals.

Talking to Baron about it will give Baron an opportunity to contact the same sales folks of the charting program or trade execution platform to see if they want to become sponsors at EliteTrader.com if they currently are not sponsors :cool:

Mark

#20     Jan 4, 2008