Any Knowledgeable Welders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lucrum, Apr 19, 2010.

1. :eek:

Well, then some people must have bigger cojones than I.

I've built - from scratch - a horse trailer, a tractor trailer, and several field trailers and other equipment, some waaaay back when I was in high school that my dad used for 25 yrs before he retired - and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that work.

Granted, my time with aluminum and stainless was limited, but I learned all 4 types - stick, mig, tig, and gas welding.

To me, there's just zero upside, other than the pride factor. Fuck pride. Stay alive.

Fab shops should be everywhere. DON'T go to a muffler shop just cuz you're building an exhaust. Go to a good welding shop that has some experience with these metals. Call around.

#11     Apr 20, 2010
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Welded a welding table top this afternoon. Partly for practice and partly to give me something to weld on top of without starting unwanted fires and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see anyone offering me a job as a welder but I think they will hold given the relatively light duty the table top will see.

#12     Apr 26, 2010
  3. Not bad for a start. Slow down a little, your puddle is breaking up too quickly, or increase your wire feed if using a MIG. Turn up the voltage a little bit as well.

#13     Apr 26, 2010
  4. Redneck

Redneck

Lucrum

I MIG, TIG, and stick weld… (I'm a redneck afterall:))

If you’re welding Aluminum and SS – go with TIG – better heat control…

Yes it takes a lot of practice to become proficient…

Btw MIG welding SS is a bitch/ MIG welding aluminum is even harder – when trying to get solid, reliable welds… You will also need to buy an entire spool of Aluminum, and SS wire

Thoughts when TIG welding Aluminum / SS

Keep your surfaces absolutely clean

Do not cross contaminate the two (SS/ aluminum)

You’ll need Aluminum rod, and SS rod, also buy separate tips to use for the two... and you’ll also need separate wire brushes

Find a local welding supply shop they may offer classes, if not they probably can tell you who does

Get a bunch of scraps and practice, practice, practice

You are welding correctly when your weld holds and the metal around the weld fails first (iow beat/ bend the hell out of it till one or the other fails)

Miller makes a good machine

Your welds, too much heat, too fast of a pass, material not cleaned (wire brushed enough).. Too much spatter, and too little penetration

eta - Proper heat and speed (good welding) should sound like bacon frying.. The wand motion will be a back and forth (side to side) stiching motion - but not too fast - with a continuous arc (maintain proper distance from the material) throughout the length of the weld

Great job building your plane thus far Sir:cool:

RN

#14     Apr 27, 2010