Any info on these trader trainee programs?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by psychic_monkey, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First time poster. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to find much info on these firms aside from their websites. Is anyone familiar with their training programs?

Chicago Trading Company
    DRW Trading Group
    Cornerstone Partners
    Mako
    Group One Trading
    G-Bar
    Botta Capital
    Cooper Neff

Any of them hiring?

I'm a recent (Dec '00) business school grad with wirehouse experience looking to make a move to a proprietary derivatives trading firm with a top notch training program.

Thanks in advance.

2. Are these equity prop trading firms? Never heard of 'em.

4. Most of these companies trade equity, fixed income and FX derivatives. Using their websites as a guide, they look like they are established, reputable companies.

5. Thanks for the response. I don't think I'd call myself a quant. I'm looking for a program that will toss me onto the floor and let me prove myself.

Thanks again.

6. cooper neff and mako........gbar, might work....hope you know options.......

7. What is the deal with Cooper Neff and Mako?

8. DRW Trading, I believe is the firm that Donald Wilson owns and operates...I remember the press covered him quite a bit back around 5 years ago...He established himself as a bigger player very early in his career and it seems that he has grown his operation nowadays...

G-Bar is a firm I have come in contact with...It is family run and they are located at the CBOE building down at 440 S. LaSalle...I remember them being more of a boutique operation, but I am not an expert on their operations....

Botta and Group One seem to be options trading firms that actively recruit college graduates to train for the options market maker role...But I am asking myself right now if this is still the "thing" that is going on...After all CBOE prices have fallen apart and with the ISE I cant imagine that the demand from 1998-2000 could still be driving hiring practices at these firms...

There was another firm called Arbitrade that had a good reputation...Also, SMW Trading seems to attract the proprietary trading types...Tradelink, LLC....

You could also just network your way into any number of smaller privately owned trading firms at the CME...I have known people who found an opportunity thru this type of network...

9. Great info. I really appreciate your input.

Unfortunately I'm working on the West Coast now and don't have any direct contact with the types of operations I'd like to work for. It seems like the really action is out in Chicago and I am prepared to go where the work is.

I agree with your market making opinion. I would take the work for the experience but I'd ideally like to find an operation where I could learn more than market making.

Thanks again.

10. In Chicago there are a few others:

Kottke Trading: They back Option Market Makers
    SMW: Same
    DRW: Has a Bunch of former Helios traders. Don Wilson owns the Eurodollar Market and he seems to be expanding.

Most of these firms are looking for ways to stay ahead of the game as the Floor turns to the Screen though. The London Markets are very active in terms of Screen Based Options market making, but most firms here in the uS are scaling back. The Equity Options firms are struggling, but the two best are:

Archelon
    Hull Trading (Goldman)

Good Luck!

#10     Dec 4, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.