Any indicators not based on OHLC,V ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Wait4proof, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Are there any stock indicators that are not based on OHLC,V data?
    Thanks.

2. Some are based on lunar phases

3. Handle123

Handle123

Not neccesary indicators as just general market knowledge that certain days of the month, stock tends to be up days cause of Mutual Funds, last 2 days of the month and first 4 days I believe. Also, day before and after holidays. Of course, real bad news, best to buy as many puts as you can before the exchanges are shut down.

Of course there are indicators based on fundamental data, number of quarters of profit, earnings, debt ratios.

But as I recall some 3 decades ago, I had always tried to make trading harder than it was thinking the "big boys" had some real complicated ideas on how to trade and I just had to outsmart them, wasted years.

I think stocks overall are pretty easy to trade longer term, if the New Highs are not increasing, then stock market not as well. I watch New highs/lows once a week as great indicator for overall market.

4. Bob111

Bob111

sentiment indicators,market stats,market breath whatever they are called..

http://www.market-harmonics.com/tech_chart_descriptions.htm

but again-some of them are based on OHLC data anyway

5. marketsurfer has some really good "non-TA indicators" and he has the uncanny ability to call market tops and bottoms with never seen before accuracy

6. Weren't the last few 1000 points on the Nasdaq on lower highs? In other words, in late bull markets the new highs are concentrated in fewer stocks. So you might have missed Nasdaq 2000-5000 following that rule.

7. From Lowry's REports:

"On the day on which the Dow Jones Industrial Average reached its absolute high
    for the 1920s bull market, the percentage of stocks making new 1929 highs that day was
    not 80% or 75% or even 70%. It was 2.30%. Out of 826 stocks that were traded on the
    New York Stock Exchange that day, only 19 stocks made their highs. Equally surprising,
    only 15.62% of all issues traded on the NYSE were either at, or within 2% of their 1929
    highs."

8. Oh yeh, that's right, the market-harmonics.com pointed out to me that I forgot about "option data".
    Thanks Bob111 for the link/reminder.

I suppose that's what I'm doing by posting this topic in the first place. I guess the low volatility lately has me looking for new insights.

9. Digs

Digs

I use a market timer that us based on NYSE adv/dec, VIX

RTT Market Timer..google it