Any idea why /NG tanked so much?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by traderjoe999, Dec 16, 2017.

1. The weather seems to be pretty cold this year compare to last.

Is it overproduction or warm weather?

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

VERY warm weather. There has been no demand whatsoever. I don't know where you live but it's not a function of cold weather per se but area. Meaning that it could be the coldest winter ever in NY or Boston or Chicago but that does not affect overall demand, you need to look at the entire country. Put another way, it would be more bullish for the entire country to be at 50 degrees then just the northeast to be at -50.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. philpsw

philpsw

We are in December, the weather changes a lot for this date and the bag too!

4. Everyone was long nothing more nothing less. When the twtr gurus are long and the retail guys are long and the mailman is long. Only one thing it can do....

5. Thanks Maverick74. NG seems to be more volatile than CL.

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

It's a LOT more volatile then CL. Always has been.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Hmm. Next time I'm on my trading machine I'll post some comparison charts. If memory serves NG has been a dog comparatively over the past 18 months or so.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'll save you the time. Here is the 30 day rolling day stat vols for CL vs NG for 2017.

srinir likes this.
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

And in case you are interested, here is the rolling 5 day stat vol.

10. Overnight

Overnight

Doesn't do it for me. Will have to check the charts that I recognize. Granted, I stopped looking at NG since the summer. To be continued...

#10     Dec 16, 2017