Any Helicopter Pilots?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acrary, Jul 17, 2003.

1. I won't tell you why it only cost you $60 for a flight hour in a MI-2 :eek:

Did you notice that the rotor system was turning in the wrong direction? :D

#31     Jul 18, 2003
  2. Trust - me I know. I count it as the bravest/stupidest, (emphasis on stupidest moves of my life )

In fact the Mi2 we flew dated from the mid 60's if my translation was accurate. Incidentally - I think you can buy one for about $50k - great deal for a twin turbine. :D

#32     Jul 18, 2003
  3. They call it the Mi-2 because of what you are holding onto when you sit in the back....."My 2".....This of course only applies to most men. :D

#33     Jul 18, 2003
  4. white17

white17

At least it's a turbine ! And a twin at that. For some real thrills try a single engine 25 year old reciprocal in a combat situation. I've no experience with the MI-2 but have you guys tried the Antonov-2 ? AN2. A sweet machine for rough country and big loads out of short strips. The Russians did that one right. But the prop does turn the wrong way.

#34     Jul 18, 2003
  5. Yes - well mine were in my throat most of the flight :)

I have a very funny photo of the flight - my friend was sitting behind me and I snapped a photo of him actually praying (hands together, eyes closed) prior to takeoff - then i gave him the camera to snap one of me at the controls giving the old "thumbs up" sign. Anyway - the film failed to advance in the camera so the two photos superimposed capturing one hilarious and memorable moment.

#35     Jul 18, 2003
  6. Ghosts in the machine! :D

#36     Jul 18, 2003
  7. What are "willowing and crabbing?" ... and where is Din Yang??

#37     Jul 18, 2003
  8. Funny you mention that - there were a few Antonov-2 carcasses (at least they looked inoperable but you can never tell with Russian kit ! :D ) at the airfield I flew the MI2 out of. I have some great photos of them - everything's on kodachrome slides or I'd post a few.

#38     Jul 18, 2003
  9. white17

white17

The AN2 is a good aircraft and you can buy them pretty cheap. They're still making them and parts are readily available.

#39     Jul 18, 2003
  10. Very old (but true) joke: Airplane pilots fly... helicopter pilots beat the air into submission.

I've been a fixed-wing pilot/owner for 26 years, and still dream of flying helicopters someday.

FWIW, my idea of how to spend retirement is found at www.rotorway.com.

#40     Jul 18, 2003