Any Helicopter Pilots?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acrary, Jul 17, 2003.

1. acrary

acrary

I'm looking to get a PHPL (Private Helicopter Pilot License) (visual flight only...not instrument rating) during the month of August. Is this realistic if I devote 100% of my time every day? What class of FAA medical do you need? I've seen class 1,2, or 3 depending on the school. If there's some great school please PM me with the details. I want to learn from the best (if there is such a thing). I've been checking lots of different schools for requirements and they all have different flight hours required. Is there a FAA link to this info?

Thanks in advance...I love flying with a bud in his Bell 430....I'm hooked!

2. used to run a whirly-bird out of Din Yang. Flew the D176, D177. Recently sold a Chambers S-108 due to problems with the Rollins coupler. Damn thing started ghosting at 5,000 every time the dewpoint dipped. That'll rattle even the most seasoned aviator!

I'd recommend spending time in the Parker Simulator first. Get about 150-200 hours in that (just practicing willowing and crabbing at first). Then you can start exporing some of the flight schools.

Good Luck!

3. I served in the 1/9th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division during the mid 80's and I flew "Snakes". Helicopter flying is by far the most exciting and at the same time some of the most difficult flying that there is. There was always something about cruising at 140 knots down and dirty that gave me wood. The feeling of being suspended in animation during a hover, to this day, is still one of the coolest sensations.

I would highly encourage you to embark on one of the most difficult, frustrating, horrifying, exhilarating,and fulfilling accomplishments a person could ever imagine. If you PM me, I will steer you in the right direction as far as training schools go.

TTYL!

Chris

4. I have a radio controlled helicopter that I haven't been able to get off the ground for a couple of years now :(

-FastTrader

5. You are not suppose to be sitting on it! :eek:

6. Helicopters are pretty insane flying machines.

I fly lots of other stuff.... and got to try one last year.
    I knew basically how all the controls work, so the pilot
    gave me control for a while.

Its amazing those things even stay up!

Unlike other flying aircraft, if you let go of the controls
    in a helicopter, the thing just goes nutz. I assume it
    will fall out of the sky and rip itself to pieces if you
    let go long enough :D

After attempting to hover one for several minutes, I have
    extreme new found respect for military pilots that can
    balance one of those things on a pin head while guys
    jump out WHILE under fire. Sheeesh!! Unreal...

Flying a helicopter requires a lot of muscle memory which
    you can only get through lots of time in one.

They are very difficult to fly (at first)... but a lot of fun.
    Unlike other aircraft, they make me woozy in the stomach
    far quicker too :D

If I were to take it up seriously, I would definitely get
    a good simulator and possibly a RC helicopter to help
    me get a jump start on the muscle memory thing.

peace

axeman

7. Ahh $#it.....now you tell me :eek:

-FastTrader :D

8. i looked up a Bell 430, just to see what they look like. i thought it reminded me of Airwolf.

[​IMG]

then i read:

"The Bell 430 is the newest and state-of-the-art aircraft developed by Bell Helicopter Textron Inc. It's the body-stretched version of the existing Bell 230 chopper. In that sense, it's the successor to the Bell 222 which was used for the base frame of Airwolf."
    http://jaemoon.pe.kr/airwolf-season4/misc/bell430/

Airwolf used to be my favorite show years ago. :cool:

9. Airwolf was :cool: Kitt was another favorite :D

-FastTrader :)

10. Jan Micheal Vincent was great in the Bellisario production of Airwolf. I just dont know where he stored his Chello on all those missions?

BTW, helicopter pilots pick up (no pun intended) tons of hot women!!!!!!!! Now that is giving me some gyroscopic precession!!!!!!! :D

#10     Jul 17, 2003