Any government online tax filing tools out there?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Cuddles, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

IRS only links me to corp. sites. None of the tools allow filing through the IRS directly without a bloodsucking middle man.

Is my only option snail mail if I want to deal w/the IRS directly?

2. destriero

destriero

How complex is your Schedule D? You can't be looking into doing your taxes on the 14th? Rly?

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Turbo tax for $$79.99 is a "bloodsucking middle man?"

Cuddles, destriero and vanzandt like this.
  4. interdim

interdim

All I can say is a few years ago I started having a professional take care of my taxes and it is no longer something I have to struggle with. It is such a relief, I highly recommend it.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

$20. You can have this immediately and you'll be done in an hour. Even if you have rental properties, a small business, etc...
    It will upload every trade you made last year from your broker and fill out the forms (wash sale bs too). Turbotax is the greatest thing ever.
    You don't even need an ebay account, just go on as a guest and buy it.
    Best $20 you'll ever spend I promise.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intuit-Tur...125462?hash=item48c6a19c96:g:47QAAOSw6HJcsSCI

Cuddles likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

TurboTax is more than capable enough for 90% of the people here.

7. toon

toon

I use TurboTax every year. Just e-filed 2018 federal and state taxes yesterday using TT Premier Edition. Both accepted already.

Cuddles likes this.
  8. fan27

fan27

I use TaxAct though I plan on outsourcing tax prep next year. Tired of dealing with it as each year there is always some special tax situation that bogs down preparation effort.

9. sfwind

sfwind

IRS has free fillable forms that will do the basic math. Since I use mark to market accounting, this is the only option.

10. Cuddles

Cuddles

filing extension :p

#10     Apr 15, 2019