Any good prop firm in or around Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by StkWiz, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Generic seems more of a real prop firm in the Carlin group. Genesis seems more like a retail shop with some professional leverage.

#11     Sep 15, 2005

2. Tell us about yourself. Maybe someone here will see something in you and will let you earn a position/job.

You can enter several training programs if you are inexperienced. The one(s) you choose will have a direct impact on what you will become in your early years trading. Choose wisely.

I wish you the best of luck.

#12     Sep 15, 2005
  3. StkWiz

StkWiz

I am 35 yrs old graduate and till recently had been working as a professional engineer. I had been fairly successful in my career but wanted to pursue my real passion that was trading. I had been investing and trading for the last few years and had done a lousy job because of demand of my job so I decided to quit my job and pursue my passion for trading as a full time job. There will be no greater reward for me to be able to pursue my passion and to be able to earn a reasonable living out of it. I was looking for a prop firm where I can learn from the more experienced traders and can get some help with the trading capital (Margins leverage and or company capital).

I am blessed with a supporting wife who happens to have a nice job. So that take the pressure of me to be the bread winner while I am learning a new trade. I have some experience in software also and am pretty certain that I will be able to make a living trading.

My problem is I have no friends or relative in the market and hence ET and the supporting people like you are my only resources and source of information. That is why I started this thread. Hope this help

#13     Sep 15, 2005
  4. You are brave to quit your job before you have another one especially to trade for yourself. If you are a type A personality then you would get yourself into a coveted training program. SIG or Group One in Phila. With your engineering background perhaps you could work a different angle and get into a top notch firm designing or maintaining trader and/or back office support while you network to become a trading professional. If you are less inclined to do either of the two and want to train within a LLC in order to get leverage then you need not only look around Philadelphia as there are many LLC type firms that will allow you to trade from a remote location that are located around the country. It all depends on your goals, aspirations, and ability. With all of your years in school and desk jobs you just want leverage from a good LLC firm now? Something doesn't add up here. :confused:

#14     Sep 15, 2005
  5. StkWiz

StkWiz

The last thing I want to do is go back to corporate america and work for someone. That was also one of the reasons for my quitting the job. As for wanting to join a LLC, it more for the training and opportunity to learn from others then for capital or margin. There is a vested interest if they the firm is giving me the capital to trade...At least that what my line of reasoning goes

#15     Sep 15, 2005
  6. Reasoning is OK but assumptions will not be of service to you. I understand now what you would like to do.

You can interview with ANY so-called proprietary firm/LLC and trade remote or in office. Like i said, i do not know of any in Phila. and do not want to upset anyone earning a living at an LLC with my interpretation or experience with such entities. I was joking with you. There are many here (ET) that can help you but not me. The best of luck to you and i hope you realize how lucky you are to have such an understanding wife. :)

#16     Sep 15, 2005
  7. Generic. Not Genesis.

Send me a PM if you want contact information. No, I do not work or trade for them.

#17     Sep 15, 2005
  8. strat3x

strat3x

I think that any confusion stems from the name "Generic". The full name of the company is "Generic Trading of Philadelphia". Oddly enough, they don't have an office in Philadelphia.

The only prop shop that I am aware of in the Philly area (burbs) is Bright in Cherry Hill, NJ

#18     Sep 15, 2005

9. Who the heck is this guy? Sounds kinda pompous to me, and he doesn't quite get the meaning. He seems to think that a good trader needs to get into a "coveted training program", especially if he is a "type A." To the original poster: these programs are absolutely NOT necessary for you to be a decent, good or great trader. Plus he is an adult, and most of those programs are tailored for kids fresh out of college. He doesn't need validation. He needs to find out if he can do this.

This guy started the thread because he is tired of working in a cubicle, 8am to 6 pm. Why would he want to work in the back office, hoping for the chance to "move up" to trade for the same firm. He has the backing of the wife, he is intelligent, and he can do it much more quickly, simply and less expensively with leverage from a prop firm.

Similarly, you speak of LLCs that provide leverage as if they are something not worthy of a real trader. ".....all you want is leverage from a prop firm, I am confused." Well this kinda tips me off as to how much you know. There are many traders who contribute to this site who use firms just like these to make high six and seven figure incomes.

I would say to the original poster, maybe try to get into a training program at a large firm, but the odds are stacked highly against you. If you don't, I believe you will be better off anyway. I think your plan of doing it on your own is better. You became an engineer, you can learn to code and test trading systems and find one that fits your personality. You can even code for other traders if you want to, with you in control.

I think your point is to trade, and to not work for someone else. It appears you are putting the things in place to give it a try and see how it works out for you.

#19     Sep 16, 2005
  10. You are making many assumptions and questioning my integrity. Then, you proceed to give the guy the same exact advice? Are you from this planet called earth?

#20     Sep 16, 2005