Any good portfolio analytics for equities?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Osiris, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Osiris

Osiris

Just wondered if anyone out there knows of or uses a decent stand alone or non-broker portfolio analytics product? My broker right now (TD Waterhouse Canada) sucks for this sort of thing...and most everything else come to think of it:p I am in the process of switching over to IB. Not sure about their offerings in this regard, but hopefully they are better. At least they have a download/import to excel feature...but still not awesome.

What i am thinking of is something like marketocracy offers...but i don't want to set up all of my real trades in virtual fund mode at marketocraczy :(

Would be great to be able to have portfolio and position level detail of MAE, MFE, correlation data, beta, industry/sector composition, sharp ratio...etc. I know not all of these things are necessarily that useful, i would just like the ability to easily or conveniently calculate them. Right now I am trying to do this in excel...and for me at least...it is a giant pain in the arse.

Worst part of it is getting all of my position daily price data into excel and then aggregating it into portfolio level data. I did not have access to the excel download feature available through IB before, I tried to set up a MSN portfolio to mimic my real trades...but i found it a bit wonky. I guess if i had made the effort that could have been a good option .... but any other suggestions would be awesome :D

cheers

2. portfolio123.com might help for testing.

3. Osiris

Osiris

Thanks psy...that looks interesting. Problem for me is that my trading is discretionairy...i have tried but can't really get it distilled into a system that could be auto executed. Also, i tend to trade micro caps mostly. So i don't know if porfolio123 would work for me....sounds more like you can run automated trade systems and build out the simulated porfolio's from the systems.

But I really just need to be able to enter old historical trades and have a product that will pull together the price history for the period of the trades....then be able to run some interesting analysis on the porfolio. If the software was quite good, i would likely use it going forward too. I have checked out RINA systems...(integrates with Tradestation) and they are pretty good...but completely out of my price range :(

I could handle spending like $100/mth for a couple months to finish up my historical stuff...but on a go forward basis...i couldn't see paying more than like $20-$50/mth...unless it was integrated with other functionality.

Thanks though :D