Any good math/stats books suggestion for trading?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by j2ee, Apr 15, 2013.

1. j2ee

j2ee

LOL thx a lot! May you explain more about the different? I thought about studying master of financial engineering, then I looked at the courses and seem like those just mainly help someone tries to get a "set derivative price" job in wall street but not a trader.

#31     Apr 18, 2013
  2. j2ee

j2ee

I mean proprietary trader with computerized strategy

#32     Apr 18, 2013
  3. You are right, MFE programs (also called Financial Mathematics, Mathematical Finance, or Computational Finance depending on the university) are mostly tailored for derivatives valuation and not trading/systematic trading. Usually such programs have only one course in statistics in finance. However, CMU program does have a course on trading and an obligatory trading competition. You can look up CMU structure of courses, it's on the their web site. CMU is one of the best programs. Neither of the MFE programs, or any other program for that matter, will teach you how to do systematic trading. However, prop trading shops routinely hire MFE grads along with grads of other hard sciences such Math, Stats, Physics, and EE, but the competition to get in is very high even among the grads of the best universities. You can search quantnet forums (it's where MFE students and alumni hang out), the question on skills required for systematic trading has been asked and answered many time on that forum. You can also ask about the books.

#33     Apr 19, 2013
  4. vincegata what's your background if you don't mind me asking as I like your answers.

#34     Apr 19, 2013