Any good Canadian brokers for daytrading ?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Peternam, Aug 11, 2010.

1. You know of any others ? ($4.95 minimum per trade should be lower)

#11     Aug 17, 2010
  2. $4.95 mimimum fee is a bit high for day trading.

#12     Aug 17, 2010
  3. I agree, it is high for day trading. But it's the best of the worst, since every other retail broker in Canada (except IB) doesn't go lower than $7-9 per side after you meet their activity minimums.

Other than just trading Canadian securities with IB Canada, the other route would be prop firms. I just noticed in an adjacent thread that you're American. Can American residents even apply to IB Canada? It would seem kind of silly. Americans can apply to Questrade though.

By the way, I'm not with any Canadian firm now. Thank God.

To avoid PDT, and if you know what you're doing, you could look at futures or forex.

#13     Aug 17, 2010
  4. $4.95 is high, unless you can do big amount of shares per trade.

#14     Aug 19, 2010
  5. Yeah.

I figured that too, but then realized the OP is using less than 25k. If he had more than 25k, Questrade would be completely out of the picture.

#15     Aug 19, 2010
  6. Questrade doesn't open accounts for U.S. residents.

#16     Aug 19, 2010
  7. Interesting that's true, but you can apply with a U.S social insurance number as long as you're residing in Canada.

Canadians can't open U.S accounts for equities either.

#17     Aug 19, 2010
  8. exaltedangel09

exaltedangel09 Guest

Or you better have good timing.. I mean you could be unrealized +$500 but can't exit because of PDT. and when the 5 business days have passed, perhaps your unrealized gains have turned to losses!!

#18     Aug 19, 2010