Any good book on statistics side of system building?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by richardyu301, Jul 27, 2005.

1. A decent quant book sells about 10,000 copies.

#21     Jul 29, 2005
  2. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I've built dozens of systems including the one that is working for us right now. What possible motivation (excluding personal sympathy) I could have to teach anybody anything I developed. I have spent 14 years in agony of attempts and failures till I got it working. What do you expect of me? Do you want me to just give you everything I created? Why? So if you are thinking of finding any meaningful book on how to build working successful trading system your chances of finding the lost ark are much greater. The only thing I could say: - "IT CAN BE DONE!" . Pay your dues, suffer and succeed.

#22     Jul 29, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

What I do is go to the local University Library and browse. For example, the UofC has a day where the public can come in and peruse during certain hours. I take advantage of that. Also some public libraries have terrific collection of Financial Journals - you need to get in your car and start exploring the libraries near by.

This is the best way to do it as you will find out if you have the background to understand what is being said. Otherwise it is not money well spent.

nitro

#23     Jul 29, 2005
  4. There's some decent stuff published, decent in terms that they can lead to profitable ideas after some (in many cases significant) work...

Just google High-Frequency Finance, Trading Systems/Models, etc... you are bound to find some PDFs or links to journal subscriptions.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=742077

#24     Jul 29, 2005
  5. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Thanks, I'll check it out, hopefully I'm smart enough... :D

#25     Jul 29, 2005
  6. wizardx

wizardx

would you mind telling us the returns you are generating from your system?

#26     Jul 29, 2005
  7. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Approximately 6 - 8% a month net return on the money. 1 month a year is a looser (not more than an average winning month). The system is 90% robotic with the repair strategy triggered by a decision maker. That is about as much as I can tell.

#27     Jul 29, 2005
  8. zenith

zenith

Do you think I can develop a system using Metastock? I was thinking to get it cause I'm tired of manual backtesting. Any comments would be appreciated.

#28     Jul 30, 2005
  9. You mean 6-8% return on investment (leveraged money)?
    If so, that's 84% return, which is excellent

Now it depend how big your account and leverage is

#29     Jul 30, 2005
  10. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Sounds like the stats to an options selling model.

#30     Jul 31, 2005