Any good book on statistics side of system building?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by richardyu301, Jul 27, 2005.

1. tcosync

tcosync

I read Tushar Chande's "Beyond Technical Analysis" a few years back and thought it was pretty good.

Concentrate on how he formulates and statistically tests the systems rather than whether the sample systems covered in the book still work or not.

#11     Jul 28, 2005
  2. nitro

nitro

How do you like my metooxx inpersonation?

nitro :D

#12     Jul 28, 2005
  3. foe

foe

4. Thank you. In fact, I doubt anyone will disclose his/her research if it really works in the market (well, except possibly Andy Lo of MIT).

#14     Jul 29, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

Yes, I agree. Much of the best stuff is by some academics. However, in my experience many academic research edges rarely make it to book form until that edge has been well worn.

If you want access to those edges, you have to subscribe to the academic journals imo.

nitro

#15     Jul 29, 2005
  6. man

man

one of the reasons might be that a paper is done in weeks, while a book takes months. i doubt book writing in computerised trading is really an interesting business perspective. how many copies do you sell from a decent quant trading book?

#16     Jul 29, 2005
  7. nbates

nbates

Academic journals and research papers are good (for ideas) but the real deal is knowing & throwing the useless ones and then "implementing" the best of the rest.

#17     Jul 29, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

Well, I am talking years between the book form and the research paper.

I think that most people are getting smarter about it now and subscribe to the Journals, or simply hire someone that is up on these things and with a team of programmers and traders, try to come up with new ideas.

It is no accident that places like Rentec, Citadel, etc have a team of science Phds on hand.

nitro

#18     Jul 29, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

To be frank, I think that most of them are good and give good market insight, and the really good ones are obvious. But that may be personal prejiduce.

nitro

#19     Jul 29, 2005
  10. Prevail

Prevail Guest

Nitro, can you recommend any journals or where to find them?

#20     Jul 29, 2005