Any former drinkers who quit for good?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cutten, Jul 3, 2009.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

"Many speak of my drinking but none speak of my great thirst."

Winston Churchill

#11     Jul 3, 2009
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

I cut way back on drinking when I started trading in spring of 2008. When I started day trading a few months after that, it didn't take long for me to quit completely, finding that even one or two drinks in the evening ensured I was not at the top of my game the next morning.

Trading has actually improved my sense of humor and overall "silly quotient" to the point that most people have no idea I'm not drunk. :D

#12     Jul 3, 2009
  3. not to hijack the thread, but is there anybody on ET who has not quit heavy drinking?

#13     Jul 3, 2009
  4. Eight

Eight

I had a drinking buddy that could drink anybody under the table [but then he would start crying about his pitiful life of course] and I kept up with him for a long time as best I could. Eventually I switched to a policy of just never finishing the first drink. That way I could go to the bar, enjoy all the revelry and not get drunk. When people bought rounds I would let them sit in front of me and eventually distribute them to anybody that wanted them... I do similar for the weed, second hand smoke is great for that, people just do too much of these good things, a little is great, a lot is a real mess...

#14     Jul 3, 2009
  5. mokwit

mokwit

Stopped November 1989. PM me if you like.

#15     Jul 3, 2009
  6. I love my booze!

Currently drinking a Goose, splash of Redbull, and cran for color.

I drink only one on school nights and quit smoking cold turkey 3/15/02.

So preach on!

PS: Did I mention I love GDP's?

#16     Jul 3, 2009
  7. I now drink my OWN urine and feel better

#17     Jul 3, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Ok, few questions:

1) Were you a social or heavy drinker before you quit?
    2) Why did you quit?
    3) Was it easy or hard?
    4) What were the benefits and disadvantages?
    5) If you quit because of negative behaviours when drunk, did they disappear once you were "dry"?
    6) Would you recommend it to others?

#18     Jul 3, 2009
  9. If someone turns into a complete asshole when they drink, then they should stop. Obviously some underlying problems which come out after the drink.

Everything in moderation right?

Except for trading.

#19     Jul 3, 2009
  10. Six months ago I used to drink 2-3 beers in the evening and 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner-every day! Something has happened
    since I turned 40 last year. I simply cannot process that ammount of carbs and sugar. Not that I have glucose problems-
    it was just making me as fat as the TOWN DOG. After cutting back to drinking beer and wine to weekends only I have shed about 20lbs. I never had problems with sobriety throughout my 20's or 30's even though I drank practically every day for twenty some odd years. Making that adjustment was kinda tough at first.
    But the prospect of gastric bypass was blunt motivation.

#20     Jul 3, 2009