Any experience with Systematic Signals??

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by missac, Jul 13, 2008.

1. missac

missac

Has anybody had a positive, negative, or any other known experience with a company called Systematic Signals??
    I would appreciate any sort of feedback, thanks in advance.

2. The answer to all of these questions is:

If it was any good, wouldn't they be trading it themselves?

A good system will pull far more money out of the market than it can possibly be sold for.

Bad systems on the other hand can't make money in the market and can only make money for the owners by conning the unsuspecting into paying a subscription.

This isn't meant to be an insult (but unfortunately may sound that way), but anyone who isn't 100% sure than 99.99%* of the systems for sale are pure crap isn't anywhere close to being ready to be a trader.

The 0.01% of systems that may be for sale and viable either require massive capital or have some other oddball caveat. Any system for sale for a $500k or less portfolio is 100% crap.

3. missac

missac

Thanks for your comment and thoughts.

What are the leading brands, in your opinion, for 500k +.

4. missac

missac

Also, for larger account systems, what sources of independent research or reviews can be trusted. Unfortunately, I do agree that there seems to be a lot of BS in the world of trading. Would appreciate all feedback.

5. You try and make it sound SO difficult to pull money from the market when in fact many simple systems can and do make reliable money week in week out. The real test is ones ability to consistantly apply the rules of the system even in the face of drawdowns that do occur and also have a range off systems that one can use.

6. missac

missac

Bogan 7, I agree with your statement regarding a disciplined/stick to it/multi system approach. However, how does one diligently find the best source for systems avail? To sort out and find the best, most integral pro developers who have proven their track records. (Is futures & truth mag a reputable source?) As a non developer with no time to write code, I am looking for the next best option to trade with confidence.
    BTW, thanks for your response and encouragement.)

(I do understand communist monkey’s caution, with the many snake oil salesmen this business seems to attract. My goal is to diligently research, get the proper feedback on how to approach trading a larger account as safely and as aggressively as possible. I look forward to learning from anybody with valuable experience.)

7. No need to write code instaed of coming on here looking for help start reading some basic books such as link, elder,vantharp they all talk about baisc system development. if you have no time for that for get this business. You really should start with longer time frame systems such as EOD and as you get more experince look to shorten up your time frames or not as you may do alright with them

8. No opinions and I'm not sure $500k+ is the lower bound (btw that's how much you pay to acquire the system not how much it trades.)

9. If a system has drawdowns of more than 5-10% it's probably not very good. The real test is designing a system that doesn't have significant drawdowns and still makes a good return. That is in fact SO difficult.

10. A common sentiment, but (as always) it neglects to take into account the possibility of self-reinforcement. If the company's own trades happen before their customers' (this could be due to an intentional lag implemented in the publicly available system, or a simple result of no internet latency and/or lower datafeed latency due to the company's geographic proximity to the market center), then the customer's trades will obviously help turn the company's trades into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I.e., company's system says the price is going up, they buy, all of their customers buy a few seconds/minutes later--thus making the price go up--company sells at a profit.

This has the effect of making a completely ineffective system somewhat effective, and making an effective system even more profitable.

Conclusion: the mere fact that they're selling the system doesn't mean that it is (or isn't) snake oil. Either way, the incentive for introducing lagging customers is the same. If the system is effective, the customers will (on average) profit despite their lag. If the system is crap, the customers will (on average) lose money.

#10     Jul 20, 2008