Any Ex-bund bobl traders finding more success in other markets?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by downtickboy, Apr 13, 2005.

1. True

Even after Xmas the bund had some nice moves for a bit, how different now.

Today's range looks like the bund has been reading this thread !!

Am sure the volatility will come back some day, just might take a while (and might have a zimmer frame by then)

#11     Apr 14, 2005
  2. TGM

TGM

good points. However, the forex futures is not like any of the other futures markets in one respect. They are much bigger and a few single large scalpers cannot effect it. The link with Reuters and CME --put a direct link to the cash market. The euro futures does not get out of line. The CME also has their own arbs as well. The BP futures is good as well. As far as longevity----I see the Euro futures being around and the forex futures moving quite well for a LONG time. It is like the spoo in the 80's everyone thought it was a FAD. We all found out it was a secular trend. IMO forex is in a secular trend and these breed volume and volatility. I agree with you on the yen. The YEN can move alot and it has not moved alot in a long time! When I started trading the Yen was king.

#12     Apr 14, 2005
  3. I trade the Euro FX and the Euro/USD spot for a firm here in London. Our costs are 1 USD a round trip in the futures and around 20 USD a round trip for a 50 dollar pip in the cash. We use Hotspot.
    If you want to trade volatile markets then FX markets is the place to be. But you can get your ass kicked too so you have to be extremely cautious. It's nothing like the Bund/BOBL. When it is slow it can move in a range of 2~3 ticks and then all of a sudden go 20 ticks in one go. It behaves very different.

#13     Apr 14, 2005
  4. funny,i was going to look into expanding into the europe fixed income markets this weekend. i've been trading the US 10yr and 5yr lately. is the bund the best instrument to look at? what about in the UK? i was thinking that ecbot would get some bund volume but it doesnt get anything, so i'm going to have to add eurex then.
    i switched the focus from currencies to fixed income cause i just burnt out. thats just me though. i seem to understand the bonds better(which isn't much lol) gl:D

#14     Apr 14, 2005
  5. TGM

TGM

Well I have seen the Fixed income markets move the same way! But I agree the forex markets are in a Secular Trend and have become king. Long live the king---go to were the action is. How do you like HotSpot?

#15     Apr 14, 2005
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Agree, Good thing about FX futures is that bids/offers seem posted purely following the cash which is made up of multiple (multiple) market makers so more difficult to play airpocket games. Moves in response to bids/offers being pulled/added in response to cash rather than chewed through by order flow. For this reason don't seem to get the cues from volume, DoM and tape that I do in other markets so don't really watch them the way I would in other markets. Most of cash market is bank dealers but Corporate Treasurers could be regarded as the 'paper'.

There are still spikes and stop runs - I suspect a lot of spikes are often not caused by one big player trying to manipulate but by a lumpy client order coming in and the head honch asking for quotes from all on the floor, and the rest of the market gets wind of this and pulls bids/offers accordingly.

Beware at very thin times Christmas definitely manipulated then.

#16     Apr 14, 2005
  7. Some helpful posts all, thanks. I miss the action of a product that moves. Part of the fun of trading has been the "edge of the seat" feeling that it can provide. Sucky about price action in the future being non-indicative of direction, but that's been true in the bund for some time now. Success, CB

#17     Apr 15, 2005
  8. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

if you currently trade german fixed income then moving to the spoo on a temporary basis may be an idea before jumping into fx.

i see the spoo as middle ground between the vol of fi and fx vol wise.

otherwise its like a 100m sprinter entering a marathon with no prep. not quite sure if thats a good analogy but im sure you get what i mean.

...just an off the cuff thought - may be a shitty idea????

on another point, i havent seen volume increase as much as i thought it would - especially outside us main hours - considering the cme/reuters platform is now in full roll out.

#18     Apr 15, 2005
  9. Reuters didn't have much % of the euro volume in the first place anyway.. ebs does.

#19     Apr 15, 2005
  10. TGM

TGM

Volume in the Euro futures can be deceptive. There are market makers working for the Merc keeping it tight with size day and night. I think it is a product that will grow. Plenty of oppty to make some money IMO.

#20     Apr 15, 2005