any DYN traders??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by optionsplayer, May 17, 2002.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu

The entire IPP sector has been destroyed lately because of Enron, CA issues, trading issues. I trade in and out of DYN AES MIR RRI WMB CPN. The only stock that has a short-term chance is CPN:

a. resolved all liquidity issues
    b. only IPP without a CA problem
    c. doesnt do as much trading as DYN RRI or MIR so will not get into the same SEC trouble (I believe they stopped non-hedge related trading in Dec 2000).
    d. P/E of about 5 plus solid revenue growth.

most importantly: great relative strength this past week compared with the other IPPs. It looks like people putting money in the IPPs are gravitating toward CPN.

I have been long CPN for awhile with a cost-basis now in the 7s thanks to Febs dip and in the past few days I entered into new swing positions on AES and MIR. I am most interested in AES and MIR for the dividends on the preferred stock.

For instance, I bought 5K shares of AES preferred C which currently pays a 17.5% dividend and hedged by shorting 10K shares of AES. So far, so good.

#11     May 19, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

Visnhu,

This is brilliant. I also trade a/b shares against the common, etc, but never in this way - hmmmm.....

nitro

#12     May 19, 2002
  3. How did you calculate your hedge ratio?

#13     May 19, 2002
  4. Nitro,

How are you constructing your spread?

#14     May 19, 2002
  5. Vishnu

Vishnu

Right now i'm doing about a 60% hedge based on correlations I've calculated towards the upside and correlations towards the downside. I also think AES has bottomed or is close to bottoming so I hedged with a slightly bullish bias.

#15     May 19, 2002
  6. Thanks.

#16     May 19, 2002