Any Decent Trend Following / Managed Futures ETFs?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Andiroo, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Andiroo

Andiroo

All

Are there any decently designed, well performing and liquid ETFs that utilize a trend following approach based on a managed futures platform?

I have seen likes of WDTI etc but it still seems like its the mutual funds which are in the ascendency - albeit a lot of these have high minimums.

Thanks

Arb

2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I suggest to avoid funds when it comes to managed futures. I would recommend to choose individual CTAs based on their performance, risk, and method. "funds" have many hidden fees that have nothing to do with performance. Go through the individual disclosure documents as they should disclose the risk associated with any given method. Just like it takes a long time to develop a trading method, it's as equally important to develop a matrix to evaluate managers.

On a different note...Although performance is important ( Performance is not indicative of future results), the AUM, the approach, the risk may add a lot to your decision making who you should hand your capital over to.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

I agree with MattZ. One can create their own portfolio and have better control and less costs. You can mix up. If you do enough leg work you can also put together a portfolio of CTAs as well as trading systems.

4. Andiroo

Andiroo

This sounds good but how do I get access if all I wish to do is allocate a relatively small amount to this strategy?

5. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Feel free to PM me or email me at ilan@cannontrading.com to discuss specifics based on your needs, risk capital and risk appetite.