Any cost-effective alternatives to IQ Feed with an API?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Laissez Faire, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. IB could be an option, but I'm wondering if it would be better to use a feed independent of a brokerage? Unless of course it's a good brokerage and their data is good.

It seems to me that IB is a tad too high on the futures margin - especially when volatility spikes. Typically using more than exchange margins.

I've seen some happy customers of Tradestation, though. Maybe that could be an option? It seems to me they offer an API.

https://www.tradestation.com/platforms-and-tools/trading-api/

Nanex seems great, but they don't offer pricing online and I have a hunch it's on the more expensive side...

https://www.nxcoredata.com/

To be clear, I don't really need tick data. 1-minute OHLC data is fine for my purposes.

#11     May 1, 2022
  2. No. I mean that you need to buy documentation of their API. It's possible that it's now included with the yearly license which seems to be $420 currently.

#12     May 1, 2022
  3. ValeryN

ValeryN

IQFeed opens a local TCP/IP port you can pull the data thru if you crack the protocol. It's really not a rocket science. You just send a string something like "request daily AAPL" and get a reply in a pretty obvious format. You can "sniff" commands sent by some other app that is using IQFeed or google for other people who did just that. I've done this around 2013, wouldn't be surprised if that still works the same.

#13     May 1, 2022
    eee and Laissez Faire like this.
  4. The developers I talked with seem to have the impression that both IQ Feed and NxCore's solutions are a bit dated - being limited to "low level Windows".

#14     May 3, 2022
  5. NxCORE by NANEX

NxCORE by NANEX Sponsor

For a long while our Linux version of Nxcore has been in "beta" although we have had more than a few customers using the "beta" Linux version in production without issue. I am just chiming in here to say that our Linux version is no longer beta and has a dedicated Linux developer behind it.

It is developed primarily in a Debian/Ubuntu environment but we also have a CentOS version as well.

#15     May 3, 2022
  6. dholliday

dholliday

I believe the IQFeed developer's license is a one-time fee.

#16     May 4, 2022
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  7. algoseek

algoseek Sponsor

Would you consider another non-API solution that is more cost-effective? algoseek is definitely a cost-effective option.

#17     May 5, 2022
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  8. I suppose so.

How would I retrieve the data then if not through an API?

Thank you.

#18     May 5, 2022
  9. algoseek

algoseek Sponsor

Algoseek's datasets are available in an easy-to-use CSV format.

#19     May 6, 2022
  10. That’s how I currently get data through IQFeed and QCollector.

#20     May 6, 2022