Any chance I can get some guidance?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by 4Rings2Snails, May 2, 2008.

1. Naah, don't look to deep into this. I am what I stated, in fact almost half of that 60m is in deferred VA's. 403(b)'s and NQ deferred VA's basically. Don't know what the big deal is as 60m in AUM is peanuts compaired to some of my senior partners with 200m+. These guys are clearing seven figure incomes year after year selling MF' and VA's all while letting most of that money get managed buy private management groups. It's actually a pretty nice way to make a living...

8 years in the business and I'm at 58.5m in AUM at the end of Q1. I'm not complaining.

#11     May 2, 2008
  2. PaulRon

PaulRon

lol this thread is hilarious

#12     May 2, 2008
  3. And so that's why I'm here >>> to see if anyone else has consistently used particular techniques to make some nice pops.

Looks like trading the news is something that doesn't get much attention around here.

But I just don't get it; I thought there would be hella more people making some good coin soley on breaking news. Maybe that breed of trader exists... but possibly not here.

#13     May 2, 2008
  4. rwk

rwk

There are two kinds of news: scheduled and surprise. Scheduled news is something like a Fed meeting or earnings. If there is scheduled news coming out, the best strategy is usually to close all positions and wait for the dust to settle. The only way to protect against surprises is to be hedged, and that gets expensive.

The problem with trading on news is getting the news quickly enough, executing an order quickly enough, and knowing how to react. If you fall short on any one of the three, you lose. Even if you nail it, how do you know how far to ride the movement? How do you validate your strategy?

Trading on news is a high-risk game, unless you have a lot of infrastructure (research, hardware, software, etc), or you have illegal information. In the latter case, watch the movie "Wall Street" and prepare for a vacation at "Club Fed".

#14     May 2, 2008
  5. I understand all that rwk, my interest is in whatever moves shares higher. Shit, just look at the activity from the earnings numbers on MORN and CSTR. So if one was privy to that info shortly after it hit the wire and you went long just for the day. you'ed be ^19% or 16% respectively. Is this philosophy that risky in you personal opinion???

#15     May 2, 2008
  6. I traded lots of news. for fund management, I would buy something or short something in trend, one way you have lots of money, you can not move around quick, so you must stay there by scaling in or scaling out in a long time horizon, the market better moves slowly/gradually or in a wave kind of movement.

for day trading, quickness/swiftness is the killer weapon. like today the employment data realse, I just shorted the index in the pre-market, the reason is simple, yesterday the market rallied too much, I know lots of suckers and those indecisive ill-timed short sellers are there to wait for the news and jump on the gun, then in the dip I covered and went long (the long-term trend is up), sold it in the AH.

trading news is a great way to build wealth quickly. no news, the market just dull, no quick movement, where you can find money?

#16     May 2, 2008