Any CBOT grains traders in here?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ChitownWally, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if there any floor-based grains traders in here? I'm currently clerking at the CBOT on the financial side, in bond options. It's been a pretty tough (but good) experience so far, but I'm worried about what's going to happen when my group goes upstairs in the next couple of months. Vol has been pretty low this summer, and spreads are getting tight. It's getting tougher and tougher to make money in this market.

I like the floor and would really like to stay on the floor, and am really interested in commodities, which I hear is a little more relaxed sometimes and not quite intense as financials. I’d love to be able to switch over to the grains side and clerk for someone. If anybody here has any experience with this market, I’d love to hear your opinion of its future (like profit potential, and how soon til it moves to screen if ever, etc?), or if you or anyone you know is looking for a good clerk in the grains, please let me know.

Thanks,

Wally

2. mcurto

mcurto

Wally,

I used to work in the grain room. It is definitely more laid back, hours are shorter, but income is not quite as high as the financial traders. One of my buddies clerks in Bean options with some Prime International guys I believe. If not them, I would check with Iowa Grain, very laid-back group of guys, can build a career there, and probably the best grain traders in that room. PM me if you need e-mails or anything for these guys. Just a question, are your guys moving upstairs to make markets on the screen for financial options, or will just trade the pit options as upstairs locals? I have noticed increased electronic volumes on the screen for financial options, but most of this takes place during 2-6am, guys in London crossing shit with each other. I think vol will be back early next year in the Financials with uncertainty about the Fed (there is a guy in ten year options who is long about 130,000 March 102 puts, so hopefully that is where we are going). Be patient.

Mike