Any Aussies here on the forum?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Maverick1, Dec 13, 2017.

1. themickey

themickey

In Australia all we mainly do is dig holes in the ground and export pay dirt to china in super tankers, and the country is broke!
    INCREDIBLE!

#11     Dec 14, 2017
  2. Maverick1

Maverick1

I believe you Mickey re nasty gubmint, same thing everywhere you look around the world. Those 4 sure walk and quack like a cartel, and with Turnbull as an ex GS guy there must be plenty of goodwill towards them despite the recent investigation decision. Budget deficit of 1-2%, so I don't know if the country is broke, unless you mean the people/middle class are broke, which is what I think you meant. It's same thing over here in the US btw, with most folks without even $500 saved for an emergency. This world is buggered. Did you know GS made a big splash with a bullish call on commodities for 2018... expensive could get expensiver but the bank charts look like they're losing momo, have underperformed significantly this year...

#12     Dec 14, 2017
  3. themickey

themickey

Yep, I think I've weighed up the pros & cons, subsequently as Aust. is in the drivers seat re the breadth of mining, nearly all my trading these days is mining related, copper, gold, lithium, nickel, iron ore, coal, oil companies every now and again. Stocks and with no leverage.
    Theory being, Aust. has an abundance of listed mining companies no other country has bar maybe Canada. For example, on the asx there are maybe nigh on 400 listed gold & silver co.'s, several iron ore, several uranium, numerous diversified mining, tin, aluminium, list goes on & on.
    Consequently this draws in overseas fund money to this niche field within the asx and most times metals prices go in waves, the runs are usually quite steep and fast, but not always.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    #13     Dec 14, 2017
  4. Maverick1

Maverick1

What would happen to RE is Labour won ala Jacinda in kiwi-land? Aren't they (Labour) ahead of Turnbull et al in the polls right now?

#14     Dec 15, 2017
  5. themickey

themickey

Labour leader Bill Shorten is about as unpopular as Turnbull, polls swing a little here & there in the unpopularity vote, about breakeven though. Both parties are scared to touch RE mainly the negative gearing tax perk component as they know it will cause a gawd almighty property price crash.
    Gummint is totally on the nose here, people are fed up with their constant petty immature squabbling between the main parties and lack of action on anything meaningful. The joke here is gummint full of minor duck shovelling policy and noise so they don't need to tackle the important issues.
    In Australia gummints are voted out, not voted in.

#15     Dec 15, 2017
  6. Maverick1

Maverick1

Wasn't Jacinda more of a populist though? so there's really no one on the political horizon in Oz who can shake things up for the middle class?

#16     Dec 15, 2017
  7. themickey

themickey

Unfortunately I'm not up to speed on NZ politics, been away too long and over this side of the ditch don't hear much about it.
    Sadly in Oz there appears to be nothing much around atm in terms of a new charismatic potential leader.

#17     Dec 15, 2017
  8. Maverick1

Maverick1

K.

Cool that you trade all those metals. Do you have any favorites? Sounds like you've been trading a long time

#18     Dec 15, 2017
  9. themickey

themickey

#19     Dec 15, 2017
  10. How can the country be broke? It has a very long track record of zero recession for 26 years. Name me another country that achieved this. Australia is a miracle economy.

Anyone into Australian stocks here? Is it easier to make money in Australian stocks compared to U.S stocks?

#20     Dec 15, 2017