Any Aussies DayTrading US markets?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mike12nv, May 13, 2010.

1. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi Bolter,

Could you tell me more about what you do.
    I.e instrument, time frame, position hold etc...

I checked your profile and it says you're hedge fund manager and location is singapore. However your say you're from west oz. :)

How long have you been trading.
    My ultimate goal is to one day own my own hedge fund too.

You are living the life being able to do what you want when you want. Noone can ask for more than that! :)

regards,
    Mike

#11     May 13, 2010
  2. m22au

m22au

Gold, silver, $WTIC crude oil, AUD/USD, EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY, EUR/GBP,
    US equity index futures, European equity index futures,
    US equities, UK equities, Other European equities

#12     May 13, 2010
  3. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi m22au,

Thanks for you prompt reply.
    Can be more specific about US equity index futures, European equity index futures that you trade. How long do you hold for?
    Margins, broker etc..

Where abouts in Aus are you from? Do you trade full time?

Cheers,
    Mike

#13     May 13, 2010
  4. Have a look at the ESTX50. It trades on Eurex. It's an excellent product to trade if your in Oz. And because it trades through to the close of the US market, it mimics the US market after Europe closes. So you get the best of both worlds. To trade the US market only from Oz, you may as well become a vampire. You will never see daylight.

#14     May 13, 2010
  5. speres

speres

i'm in NZ and my tf's even worse as a full time trader

A few pointers that might help.

Look at trading London open currency majors. You can probably catch 1 move there a day.
    Trade some liquid markets on the higher tf, like ftse 100, xjo, currencies etc etc Paper trade these initially if your going to struggle with higher tfs...

#15     May 13, 2010
  6. Pinozi

Pinozi

Yeah I trade option spreads on the US markets and ASX too - mainly Iron condors and Calendars

I usually place a trade each month, adjust and defend then rinse and repeat.

I still trade the indicies, but usually just wait for good set ups and hold for larger moves. I loved daytrading and still do - just find that I was more profitable doing other styles of trading

#16     May 13, 2010
  7. hadlee

hadlee

Hi,

Maybe try applying your intraday method to Euro Stoxx futures . For longer time frame tradng try FX Currency futures .

#17     May 13, 2010
  8. mike12nv

mike12nv

Thanks Runningbear for you valuable input.
    I will definitely take a look into ESTX50. When does Europ open/close?

Yeah. definitely have seen less daylight.. Hence looking at ways to change that.

My only concern is that I've been taught certain methodology for the ES, so not sure if that will work on any other instruments.

Any thoughts..

#18     May 13, 2010
  9. TRS

TRS

Hi Mike,

I haven't read/answered your question correctly. I'm a full time trader.
    What's your trading like. You're not looking for a last push to go full time are you?

#19     May 14, 2010
  10. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi TRS,

I started out as casual trader. Then i realised that you need to treat this serious and like a business (not a hobby). So I quit my job and took it full on for a year. The results were ok, but not consistent enough to live off confidently. So I got back to getting a job, and try to trade as well. I am only trading the morning session, but speaking to a few people, they suggest going for the arfternoon session.

If I could do it full time, I would. Just need to be pointed in the right direction I guess. :)

What do you trade, what are your hours?
    Also, I'm from Sydney. You?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

#20     May 14, 2010