Any Aussies DayTrading US markets?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mike12nv, May 13, 2010.

1. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi Fellow Traders,

I'm glad I found this forum as I can share my thoughts and opinions with like minded individuals.

I am from Sydney Australia and would just like to know if there are any Aussie Day traders here trading the US markets. I would love to know how you manage your time.

I have a full time job and find it extremely difficult.
    Feel free to contact me.

thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Pinozi

Pinozi

I'm living in Sydney and use to day trade ES and NQ, it nearly killed me as the hours just use to mess with your sleeping patterns.

I now just do position trading through option spreads so it isn't as screen intensive

3. m22au

m22au

Hi Mike,

I'm from Australia as well.

As Pinozi suggested, have you considered trading with a longer timeframe, so that you can spend fewer hours in front of your screen and more hours sleeping?

4. TRS

TRS

Yes I do. Like everything in life, it's about finding balance.

5. bolter

bolter

Mike,

I'm on the west coast of oz. I trade Europe and then the morning session of the US - futures mainly.

My trading day is 2pm to midnight. Plenty of trading opportunities and I like the hours. I get a chance to go for a surf or a run in the mornings, then run some errands.

Cheers,
    bolter

6. Dogfish

Dogfish

7. mike12nv

mike12nv

Thanks guys for you prompt response.
    I have been successfully trading the ES and YM emini contracts for a few years now and would love to be able to change to position trading or something different (like bolter said - trade til mid) but the US session doesn't open til 11:30pm. That sounds like bolter is mainly trading the European market. I am only afraid my methodology won't work there. Would it?

Can you guys who have made the transition shed some light. :)

Cheers,

Mike

8. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi Pinozi,

Do you mean like covered calls, condors, bull put spreads and the like?
    Is that on the US market still?

I would love to know more. How often would you place and hold a trade?
    I have tried options as well before and have considered going back in future.

Cheers,

Mike

9. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi m22au,

I have considered it, but don't know if my "day" trading methodology will work on a longer time frame. Another problem is that you need much bigger margin to hold the ES or YM or any eminis for that matter overnight.

What do you trade if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,
    Mike

10. mike12nv

mike12nv

Hi TRS,

Thanks for your response. Would you be able to elaborate more :)
    I totally agree with you and hence I am seeking answers.
    I have toned my trading to only the morning session (9am-12pm US time) so i can get more sleep. Still, thats 2-3 am every day. Then waking up to go to work like every other person in the rat race.

I would love to hear how you do it.

Thanks TRS,

regards,
    Mike

#10     May 13, 2010