Any archers on ET?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Oct 22, 2010.

1. hunt boars with dogs and a knife like they do in New zealand- the old fashioned way- no rifles etc..

#12     Oct 24, 2010
  2. #13     Oct 24, 2010

3. Naw, I'm in oz, and doing thung's the kiwi way just auin't mei kuttle of fush and chup's, bro.

BTW, aussies do that too, but rather than being kiwi's the usual term is .......rudnucks:D

#14     Oct 25, 2010
  4. themickey

themickey

Many years ago I was a sports deer hunter in NZ, I lived there.
    Took a friend hunting, he had a compound bow.
    We spotted no deer that day but had passed a wild goat grazing under a tree near a river bank.
    He wanted to shoot it but I said "no", first we look for deer. I had a .308 carbine, ( BSA Monarch)
    On the way back, we spotted goat in same spot so I suggested he give 'im one.

Jim (friend) had to lean downward as the tree branches hung down near the ground and goat was grazing beneath.
    So from a bent over - stooped position he let fly - about 40 meters range - and goat spun around on the spot 360 degrees and dropped stone dead.
    I'll never forget that shot, this guy was no noob either, he had an arsenal of bows and arrows with all sorts of arrow heads, sheesh that was an absolute perfect shot.

For those who may know NZ, it was Wanganui River, about 30 km's up from the township.
    I had a tinny, ( ally dingy) I'd cross the river and immediately into prime hunting straight off the river bank into bush, Fallow deer, pigs and goats.

#15     Oct 25, 2010
  5. Ive tried my hand at it-just to get another hunting season in. But to no avail. I've just never been a consistent shot with one.

#16     Oct 25, 2010
  6. I've tried my hand at it, just to get another hunting season in. I've never been all that good at it though.

#17     Oct 25, 2010
  7. 1) Contact Ted Nugent.
    2) Ask to speak to Gabe at Goldenberg-Hehmeyer (Penson) in Chicago. He's heavily into that stuff. :cool:

#18     Oct 25, 2010

8. 40 metre's is impressive-NZ do'es (or did) have great hunting, if your fit enough for the terrain, can get real vertical over there.
    Boar/goat cooked in a hungi, brilliant.

One of the reasons for a recurve, is no way I'm fit to slog it out "actually" hunting, and I don't have the patience for sitting around ambush hunting-and I have to re-learn how to shoot first.
    It fit's the bill, no tinkering or stuffing around.

I prefer the idea of camping and taking something I can plink with, maybe hunt, than going hunting -with camping -gear, and likely dissapointment.:)

Nazzdack, as for contacting Ted Nugent, well......I'd be obliged to tell him I never really liked his music, and he has lots of guns:D

#19     Oct 26, 2010
  9. themickey

themickey

Not all hunting is strenuous. It was in my blood once - hunting, I've done quite a bit of it around much of NZ and little bit in Australia.
    My easiest hunting was in Kawerau, close by Rotorua NZ, where I introduced myself to a farmer and would buy him a dozen beer to cross his land.
    20 minutes walk I was into native bush on one side of the fire break and pines on the other side.
    Deer would literally creep behind you when you were sitting on log having a smoke.

These days my 'hunting' pleasure is just snorkeling in the sea, no spear-guns, just watching the fish (and sharks) have fun.
    I live in Perth Australia.

#20     Oct 26, 2010