any agriculture traders

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Husky02, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Husky02

Husky02

thinking about making the switch from energy, which i feel has become to untradeable, will at least for now. anyway, looking for some good literature and/or brokers to use. looking to trade time, and basis spreads and simple option strategies. focus to start will be on grains(wheat, corn, soybean). i have already done the standard search on the internet and seem to be coming up with an arbitrary list of manuals and books that seem to be quite expensive. so before i start burning my credit card, just wanted to see if anyone on this site had suggestions

thank you!

2. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

I would first check cbot.com

they may have some links for you.

3. logikos

logikos

I've been trading ag futures for 10 years. I find them highly tradeable except in summer. Sometimes they get pretty aggravating though and hard to figure out. Some years I have made tons of money trading Wheat, some years it could have sent me to the poor house, so be careful nonetheless. Even the sluggard Corn can pull surprises now and then.

4. Husky02

Husky02

thanks logikos....do you trade for yourself or for a futures boutique? what types of strategies do you use and how does the liquidity compare to other products...any help is appreciated, thanks!

5. logikos

logikos

husky, I trade on my own. I trade a lot of spreads. They are a lot less stress and lets you trade the market without putting stops all over the place. The ags seem to have a lot of stop running, so not having any stops puts you at an advantage.

It's still possible to make money trading outright futures. In fact, I generally leg out of the spreads and let the profitable side run as outright futures to see if I can squeeze out a little more profit.

Good luck.