any advice for recent top 5 mba grad?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ivymba, Jan 25, 2006.

1. tomcole

tomcole

I simply dont believe you.

Whats your dual degree?

#11     Jan 26, 2006
  2. The only reason to go there is to start busineses.... This implies that you have capital or access to capital. If your goal is to get a job then the MBA is not very useful in general and becomes a trap: companies look to hire MBA grads that ALREADY have experience (3-5 years) in the area in which they operate.

Thus, yes you can get a 100K+ offer on graduation with an MBA provided you have focused experience in the area that the firm(s) is looking to staff. If not, the MBA is really not very useful ... even from a top tier school.

#12     Jan 27, 2006
  3. This is completely 100% untrue. I went to a top 20 B-school and many of my classmates were ex-military, non-profit, teachers, etc. and ended up with six figure packages in Management Consulting or Investment Banking. In some case, they quadrupled their income prior to coming into b-school. This is why people bear the tremendous opportunity cost of going to b-school full time.

Are those fun jobs to have... heck no. But that is a different story.

I agree with a prior poster. Exploit the credential to get a high paying job and build up your capital base first. You will hate it. When you are sufficiently liquid, then go out and pursue your dreams.

#13     Jan 27, 2006
  4. This is completely 100% untrue. Without experience the MBA will NOT lead to being hired. Period.

#14     Jan 27, 2006
  5. Where did you go to business school? After attending a top program and being heavily involved in MBA recruiting I know a little bit about the subject. I have countless anecdotal examples eg. classmates making significant career changes, to disprove you notion. I am not sure what you are basing your uneducated opinions on.

The full time MBA is designed for career changers. Having some sort of work experience (at least 2-3 years) is a requirement to get in. Obviously, having prior experience in an specific field will greatly assist in finding employment in that particular field, but it is not absolutely necessary.

#15     Jan 30, 2006
  6. Private Equity is the "new" crack. 60% of HBS grads list PE as their primary placement choice. I believe PE will go horribly-wrong and make the 80's Junk blowup pale by comparison. Stay away from PE and FoF. 50% of recruits will be cabbies or waiters within two years.

#16     Jan 30, 2006
  7. Go to China. That's where all the action is.

#17     Jan 30, 2006
  8. deuce bigalow, MBA gigolo?

#18     Jan 30, 2006
  9. I tend to agree... I have a friend with an HBS MBA with zero Street experience. She's very bright and very unemployed waiting for GS to call. Another has a UofC MBA, top of his class and he's selling audiophile gear.

#19     Jan 30, 2006
  10. Hmmm.. Price is an accounting/auditing firm?!?! Its as far from entrepreneurial as one can possibly get. They don't do M&A, except in Transaction Services where they support investment bankers who actually do M&A.

#20     Feb 12, 2006